Spots to start spring

Despite everything Miami has to offer, it can sometimes feel like there’s nothing going on – especially over spring break, when so many people head off for exciting vacations. Whether you are staying on campus or hanging out around the Miami area during spring break, there are plenty of options, both affordable and fun, to keep you busy. The Miami Hurricane came up with some suggestions, both on and off campus, for everyone who is spending spring break in the Magic City.

On campus:

John C. Gifford Arboretum: If you enjoy nature and being outdoors, this is a place worth visiting on campus. The Arboretum features a variety of plants, birds and butterflies. Many of the tropical trees and plants are for educational and research purposes, and the collection is used to inform visitors, complete with interpretive signs and identification tags for the plants. The arboretum is free to visit.

The Lowe Art Museum: Many people are so busy with classes and hectic schedules during the semester that they don’t end up visiting the museum available to us right on campus. If you’re staying here for spring break, use your free time to check out the Lowe. Currently, the exhibition “From Ancient Art to Modern Molas: Recurring Themes in Indigenous Panama” is on display. The Lowe is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. all week and entrance to the museum and Lowe lectures are free to students with an I.D.

Go on a Netflix Binge: Netflix is a great option if you want to stay on campus, or better yet, in the comfort of your own dorm room. Put on your pajamas and have a movie day. Take the chance to watch the Oscar winners, classics or your go-to favorites. Grab some popcorn, get some friends, or have some time to yourself and enjoy a relaxing night in.

Off-campus:

Miami International Film Festival: This world-class festival is a great option for those staying in South Florida during spring break. The event will feature acclaimed actors and some of the world’s most notable filmmakers. There is also a seminar series. The festival is from March 7 to March 16 at a variety of venues throughout the city. Ticket prices vary for opening night films, awards night films and special screenings. General admission tickets are $7 for students who show a valid ID.

Venetian Pool: When you’re sick of the campus pool and not in the mood for SoBe, this popular spot is a great place to visit. Enjoy lounging in the sun or taking a swim in the Mediterranean-style pool. Close to campus, the Venetian will provide you with a fun and relaxing day without breaking the bank. Tickets are $7.70 for non-residents of Coral Gables and $5.25 for residents.

Wynwood Art District: Channel your inner hipster and spend a day at the Wynwood district. Home to galleries, museums and artists, not to mention the famous street art, this edgy and artistic neighborhood of Miami hosts a variety of events, and spring break week will be no different. In fact, this month’s Art Walk is happening on the first Saturday of the break.  There is always something new happening in this unique part of town.

Vizcaya Museum & Gardens: Take advantage of the sunny days and warm weather and visit the Vizcaya, a local attraction not far from campus that offers tours of its European-style Main House and gardens. The Italian estate blends history with design and tropical bayfront gardens. The museum also offers moonlight tours of the gardens with live music. Tickets are $10 for students with an ID during regular hours, and $12 for the moonlight tour.

Emily Dabau

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...