Campus Life, International, News

Film majors shoot for spring

During her week-long excursion to Guatemala, Zulena Segarra-Berrios returned with more than just photographs of her trip.

The second-year Master of Fine Arts student came back with footage for a documentary to complete an enrichment project offered to first-year students in the School of Communication’s graduate film program. The trip allows students to practice nonfiction filmmaking and gain a global perspective.

The trip takes place annually during the university’s spring break. Ed Talavera, the film program’s director, leads the trip and organizes the group’s itinerary.

This year’s students will be departing Saturday and will be living in a hotel in San Pedro, a town near the primary destination Lake Atitlan.

Students are only required to cover personal expenses; the program covers accomodations and transportation.

Talavera began taking first-year film students three years ago. Before Guatemala, most students have not visited a third-world country, he said.

“Everyone comes back with an eye-opening experience,” Talavera said. “It’s not a touristy thing.

The students in the class are required to film a documentary about a social issue. Unlike previous years, the Center for Disease Control is partnering with the University of Miami in Guatemala.

Two projects will then focus on HIV prevention and the dangerous practice of using cook stoves that use wood or charcoal inside homes. The smoke from the cook stoves is a carcinogen.

The other two groups will capture the experience of a free health clinic called a “hospitalito,” (Spanish for small hospital), and the experience of coffee farmers in the area.

First-year film student Ronnie Khalil is working on the “hospitalito” project. He is looking forward to seeing Guatemala for the first time.

“Seeing a new world through the lens of a camera should be very eye-opening,” he said.

Khalil has traveled extensively in the past, referring to himself as one of the more “seasoned” film students. He will work as the film’s producer and director.

Segarra-Berrios’s project was less centered on health.

Her documentary explored the maltreatment of horses that are a typical tourist attraction in Guatemala. The film profiled an American woman’s nonprofit organization that raises awareness about horses in the area.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...