Avoid labels to embrace understanding

She’s a b*tch. He’s assertive. She’s crazy. He’s expressive. It’s a war of words, and women are losing.

If I had a dollar for each time I’ve heard a guy dismiss his ex as crazy, I’d have enough money to pay for my own loony bin treatment. The thing I find crazy is how common it is for guys to use labels on women whose behavior they find inconvenient or uncomfortable.

The same goes for whenever an assertive girl is called a b*tch. Assertive guys are hailed as tough go-getters, while strong women who go after what they want are called b*tches. This labeling attitude diminishes women and their emotions and helps maintain an unequal society.

Brushing off women’s expressive behavior by calling them “crazy” inhibits the chance for honest, open relationships – something that hinders both women and men. Likewise, tossing around “b*tch” causes women to question their emotions, their actions and themselves.

Labeling must be curtailed, and we can start by expanding our vocabulary. Men should address things they find annoying or overly emotional, call them for what they are and try to find the meaning behind them. For those who don’t label, call out people who do. If people are made aware of how damaging labels are, they’re more likely to stop using them. One or two syllables can carry more weight than you think.

Maybe when we figure out the reason someone is acting the way they are, we won’t find it so “crazy.” We might even discover mistakes made on our own part caused the behavior we deem so irrational.

Melanie Martinez is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Melanie Martinez

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...