Avoid labels to embrace understanding

She’s a b*tch. He’s assertive. She’s crazy. He’s expressive. It’s a war of words, and women are losing.

If I had a dollar for each time I’ve heard a guy dismiss his ex as crazy, I’d have enough money to pay for my own loony bin treatment. The thing I find crazy is how common it is for guys to use labels on women whose behavior they find inconvenient or uncomfortable.

The same goes for whenever an assertive girl is called a b*tch. Assertive guys are hailed as tough go-getters, while strong women who go after what they want are called b*tches. This labeling attitude diminishes women and their emotions and helps maintain an unequal society.

Brushing off women’s expressive behavior by calling them “crazy” inhibits the chance for honest, open relationships – something that hinders both women and men. Likewise, tossing around “b*tch” causes women to question their emotions, their actions and themselves.

Labeling must be curtailed, and we can start by expanding our vocabulary. Men should address things they find annoying or overly emotional, call them for what they are and try to find the meaning behind them. For those who don’t label, call out people who do. If people are made aware of how damaging labels are, they’re more likely to stop using them. One or two syllables can carry more weight than you think.

Maybe when we figure out the reason someone is acting the way they are, we won’t find it so “crazy.” We might even discover mistakes made on our own part caused the behavior we deem so irrational.

Melanie Martinez is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Melanie Martinez

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...