Community, Edge

Ways to Spice Up your Spring Social calendar

The month of March revolves around spring break travels and beach days. But break can be rough if you’re left out while others go on nice trips, and bad weather spoils the beach. Instead of spending all that time looking around for what to do, make every day feel like spring break and check out these events.

Calle Ocho Festival 

Calle Ocho is the largest street festival in Miami. It celebrates Miami’s Latin culture in Little Havana. Walking around the festival, you’ll see performers and hear merengue, bachata and rap. People proudly show off their home countries, and there is Latin American and Caribbean food everywhere. The festival has 12 stages set up. This year Daddy Yankee and Sean Paul are scheduled to perform at the Power 96 stage.

Calle Ocho Festival runs from Eighth Street to SW 27th Ave.

Calle Ocho Festival runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.

Edouard Duval-Carrié: Imagined Landscapes exhibition at the Perez Art Museum Miami

This exhibition project, done by Haitian-born, Miami-based artist Edouard Duval-Carrie, is a series of his new work from the past year. The exhibition will feature large-scale paintings and sculptures. Duval-Carrie is known for his strong colors, but there are works in this project in black and silver glitter. His art is influenced by African fables, classic mythology and Haitian and world history with contemporary events.

PAMM is located at 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. It is open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.  The exhibit runs from March 13 to Aug. 31. 

Sony Open

Watching Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic ferociously hitting tennis balls at over 80 mph is just one of the sights at the Sony Open. During these two weeks, the Crandon Park Tennis Center features live music, food and Q&As with big shot players like Nadal, Djokovic and Maria Sharapova.

Tickets range from $11 to more than $300, depending on seat location. Tickets can be purchased by phone at 305-442-3367 or online at sonyopentennis.com.

Crandon Park Tennis Center is located at 7300 Crandon Blvd., Key Biscayne, Fla. The Sony Open runs from March 17 to March 30. 

Winter Music Conference

EDM fans have WMC marked on their calendars before anything else. With most of the prominent DJs and producers gathering in one city, it’s no wonder people look forward to it more than kids do to Christmas. There are tons of events to choose from, whether it’s a Tuesday pool party at a South Beach hotel or Ultra Music Festival, which is the event that closes WMC.

If you like bass music and getting the most for as little as possible, you’ll want to stick with WMC events at Grand Central such as: Bromance & Friends, Grand Central Tour Launch Party and HARD Miami. Can’t miss producers include Flux Pavilion, Doctor P, Brodinski and Gesaffelstein will spin there.

Tickets for every WMC event differ, ranging from $20 to over $300. Winter Music Conference runs from March 21 to March 30.

Frank Malvar

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...