Campus Life, News

Food trucks provide diverse weekly dessert options

Students with a sweet tooth now have five different dessert trucks on campus to satisfy their cravings. The only dessert  shop on campus, Red Mango Frozen Yogurt, closed at the end of last semester.

The dessert truck rotation started on Jan. 14 after Chartwells, the university’s food service provider, presented the idea to the Student Government (SG) Senate. There is a different truck every day of the week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Rock. Trucks include Churro Mania, Hip Pops, Gozen Yogurt, Dolci Peccati and Cold Stone Creamery.

A decision was made to close Red Mango because it was not meeting students’ standards. Jamba Juice replaced Red Mango in the Student Activities Center.

The Senate agreed to this new idea of dessert trucks on campus because they felt the trucks would give the student body more choices.

Brianna Hathaway, speaker pro tempore of the SG Senate, said Red Mango did not meet the needs of the students.  Hathaway said the dessert trucks are a big opportunity to “try something new and bring greater variety onto campus.”

Chartwells contacted the most popular trucks in the Miami and Broward areas, and formed a relationship with these vendors to come on campus on a trial basis for the entire semester.

According to Joey Sanchez, director of operations for Chartwells, the Rock was chosen as the permanent site of the trucks because it “is the only place where we had the permission to allocate these dessert trucks.”

Aside from this, the Rock is also located next to the UC Breezeway where student organizations and most students travel through on their way to and from classes.

The prices vary across the different dessert trucks from $3 to $6.

Sophomore Austin King stood in a line of 20 people last week.

“I make my way by these trucks twice a week, and I love them because you get a flavor here that you can’t find anywhere else,” he said.

Chartwells measures the satisfaction levels through daily sales, customer counts and surveys that are administered each semester primarily to students. The specific numbers were not disclosed.

Michael Ross, the resident district manager for Chartwells, says the company will revisit the issue if students’ needs are not being met.

“If this new implementation of dessert options on campus is not meeting the students’ expectations, then Chartwells will consider meeting again with the student Senate to discuss further possibilities,” he said.

Devon-Ashley Wade

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...