Campus Life, News

Food trucks provide diverse weekly dessert options

Students with a sweet tooth now have five different dessert trucks on campus to satisfy their cravings. The only dessert  shop on campus, Red Mango Frozen Yogurt, closed at the end of last semester.

The dessert truck rotation started on Jan. 14 after Chartwells, the university’s food service provider, presented the idea to the Student Government (SG) Senate. There is a different truck every day of the week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Rock. Trucks include Churro Mania, Hip Pops, Gozen Yogurt, Dolci Peccati and Cold Stone Creamery.

A decision was made to close Red Mango because it was not meeting students’ standards. Jamba Juice replaced Red Mango in the Student Activities Center.

The Senate agreed to this new idea of dessert trucks on campus because they felt the trucks would give the student body more choices.

Brianna Hathaway, speaker pro tempore of the SG Senate, said Red Mango did not meet the needs of the students.  Hathaway said the dessert trucks are a big opportunity to “try something new and bring greater variety onto campus.”

Chartwells contacted the most popular trucks in the Miami and Broward areas, and formed a relationship with these vendors to come on campus on a trial basis for the entire semester.

According to Joey Sanchez, director of operations for Chartwells, the Rock was chosen as the permanent site of the trucks because it “is the only place where we had the permission to allocate these dessert trucks.”

Aside from this, the Rock is also located next to the UC Breezeway where student organizations and most students travel through on their way to and from classes.

The prices vary across the different dessert trucks from $3 to $6.

Sophomore Austin King stood in a line of 20 people last week.

“I make my way by these trucks twice a week, and I love them because you get a flavor here that you can’t find anywhere else,” he said.

Chartwells measures the satisfaction levels through daily sales, customer counts and surveys that are administered each semester primarily to students. The specific numbers were not disclosed.

Michael Ross, the resident district manager for Chartwells, says the company will revisit the issue if students’ needs are not being met.

“If this new implementation of dessert options on campus is not meeting the students’ expectations, then Chartwells will consider meeting again with the student Senate to discuss further possibilities,” he said.

Devon-Ashley Wade

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...