Food Court should court other options

With Phase Two of the Dining Master Plan underway, we can expect exciting new eating options in the coming year – from Pollo Tropical to a salad station to a venue selling gourmet burgers. Another one of these additions is a larger convenience store with fresher and healthier options located at the Hurricane Food Court – and yet, just a mere 116 steps from the current C-store. Trust us on the number of steps – we counted. The university’s intention is to keep the old C-store on campus as well, but The Miami Hurricane editorial board suggests that we take advantage of the current C-store space and replace it with a different venue. Here are a few suggestions

Beauty salon:

A beauty salon for students to get haircuts would help make this a more self-sustained campus. When freshmen arrive in Miami, they don’t know where to go get haircuts, and throughout the four years, it’s an inconvenience to leave campus for such a simple errand. Other college campuses, like Florida International University and the University of Florida, have had salons and barber shops, which are convenient timesaving resources. Students could also do their nails or get other beauty treatments on the weekends.

Centralized services:

The Writing Center and the office for getting new Cane Cards have both moved to farther parts of campus. Either could be moved into the space currently occupied by the C-store and allow students to take advantage of these services more often or access them more quickly. Services like these should be centralized.

Student space:

The addition of another study space where students can work together on projects, or even just hang out and eat, would allow students to meet up between classes without walking all the way from the classroom buildings to the Student Activities Center.

Italian food option:

On campus, we have a variety of food cuisine options, ranging from Asian to Mexican. But, the addition of an Italian food option, featuring pizza and pasta, would be a crowd-pleaser.

Tell us what you think the C-store space should be used for with the hashtag #TMHtweetup and see your answer featured in Thursday’s issue.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...