Food Court should court other options

With Phase Two of the Dining Master Plan underway, we can expect exciting new eating options in the coming year – from Pollo Tropical to a salad station to a venue selling gourmet burgers. Another one of these additions is a larger convenience store with fresher and healthier options located at the Hurricane Food Court – and yet, just a mere 116 steps from the current C-store. Trust us on the number of steps – we counted. The university’s intention is to keep the old C-store on campus as well, but The Miami Hurricane editorial board suggests that we take advantage of the current C-store space and replace it with a different venue. Here are a few suggestions

Beauty salon:

A beauty salon for students to get haircuts would help make this a more self-sustained campus. When freshmen arrive in Miami, they don’t know where to go get haircuts, and throughout the four years, it’s an inconvenience to leave campus for such a simple errand. Other college campuses, like Florida International University and the University of Florida, have had salons and barber shops, which are convenient timesaving resources. Students could also do their nails or get other beauty treatments on the weekends.

Centralized services:

The Writing Center and the office for getting new Cane Cards have both moved to farther parts of campus. Either could be moved into the space currently occupied by the C-store and allow students to take advantage of these services more often or access them more quickly. Services like these should be centralized.

Student space:

The addition of another study space where students can work together on projects, or even just hang out and eat, would allow students to meet up between classes without walking all the way from the classroom buildings to the Student Activities Center.

Italian food option:

On campus, we have a variety of food cuisine options, ranging from Asian to Mexican. But, the addition of an Italian food option, featuring pizza and pasta, would be a crowd-pleaser.

Tell us what you think the C-store space should be used for with the hashtag #TMHtweetup and see your answer featured in Thursday’s issue.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...