Food Court should court other options

With Phase Two of the Dining Master Plan underway, we can expect exciting new eating options in the coming year – from Pollo Tropical to a salad station to a venue selling gourmet burgers. Another one of these additions is a larger convenience store with fresher and healthier options located at the Hurricane Food Court – and yet, just a mere 116 steps from the current C-store. Trust us on the number of steps – we counted. The university’s intention is to keep the old C-store on campus as well, but The Miami Hurricane editorial board suggests that we take advantage of the current C-store space and replace it with a different venue. Here are a few suggestions

Beauty salon:

A beauty salon for students to get haircuts would help make this a more self-sustained campus. When freshmen arrive in Miami, they don’t know where to go get haircuts, and throughout the four years, it’s an inconvenience to leave campus for such a simple errand. Other college campuses, like Florida International University and the University of Florida, have had salons and barber shops, which are convenient timesaving resources. Students could also do their nails or get other beauty treatments on the weekends.

Centralized services:

The Writing Center and the office for getting new Cane Cards have both moved to farther parts of campus. Either could be moved into the space currently occupied by the C-store and allow students to take advantage of these services more often or access them more quickly. Services like these should be centralized.

Student space:

The addition of another study space where students can work together on projects, or even just hang out and eat, would allow students to meet up between classes without walking all the way from the classroom buildings to the Student Activities Center.

Italian food option:

On campus, we have a variety of food cuisine options, ranging from Asian to Mexican. But, the addition of an Italian food option, featuring pizza and pasta, would be a crowd-pleaser.

Tell us what you think the C-store space should be used for with the hashtag #TMHtweetup and see your answer featured in Thursday’s issue.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz went into overtime on Monday during an interview with ...

Miami couldn’t in-bound the ball. When the host Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team looks back at Su ...

Offensive line is always one of the biggest needs for the Miami Hurricanes on the recruiting trail a ...

When Manny Diaz briefly left the Miami Hurricanes to become the coach of the Temple Owls, Keshawn Wa ...

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Miami's stellar season came to end Sunday, as the Hurricanes fell to ASU, 57-55, in the NCAA To ...

A ninth inning rally pushed No. 5 NC State past the Canes on Sunday afternoon. ...

Despite Estela Perez-Somarriba logging a top-five triumph for the 100th win of her career, the No. 2 ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

Facing No. 11 North Carolina on its home court, the University of Miami men's tennis team got o ...