Food Court should court other options

With Phase Two of the Dining Master Plan underway, we can expect exciting new eating options in the coming year – from Pollo Tropical to a salad station to a venue selling gourmet burgers. Another one of these additions is a larger convenience store with fresher and healthier options located at the Hurricane Food Court – and yet, just a mere 116 steps from the current C-store. Trust us on the number of steps – we counted. The university’s intention is to keep the old C-store on campus as well, but The Miami Hurricane editorial board suggests that we take advantage of the current C-store space and replace it with a different venue. Here are a few suggestions

Beauty salon:

A beauty salon for students to get haircuts would help make this a more self-sustained campus. When freshmen arrive in Miami, they don’t know where to go get haircuts, and throughout the four years, it’s an inconvenience to leave campus for such a simple errand. Other college campuses, like Florida International University and the University of Florida, have had salons and barber shops, which are convenient timesaving resources. Students could also do their nails or get other beauty treatments on the weekends.

Centralized services:

The Writing Center and the office for getting new Cane Cards have both moved to farther parts of campus. Either could be moved into the space currently occupied by the C-store and allow students to take advantage of these services more often or access them more quickly. Services like these should be centralized.

Student space:

The addition of another study space where students can work together on projects, or even just hang out and eat, would allow students to meet up between classes without walking all the way from the classroom buildings to the Student Activities Center.

Italian food option:

On campus, we have a variety of food cuisine options, ranging from Asian to Mexican. But, the addition of an Italian food option, featuring pizza and pasta, would be a crowd-pleaser.

Tell us what you think the C-store space should be used for with the hashtag #TMHtweetup and see your answer featured in Thursday’s issue.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...