News, Profiles

Documentary follows life of quadriplegic soldier

Travis Mills is a former United States Army sergeant with a wife and daughter. In 2012, on his 25th birthday, he woke up in a hospital. Four days before, he had an incident with a homemade bomb, which caused him to lose portions of his arms and legs.

A documentary crew followed him through his recovery process. Now, he’s a motivational speaker who inspires people to never quit. On Monday, Mills will talk at a screening of the documentary “Travis: A Soldier’s Story” at the Cosford Cinema. The Miami Hurricane got the chance to ask Mills a few questions about his experiences since the accident, what filming was like and his plans for the future.

The Miami Hurricane: When you woke up in a hospital bed after the incident, what were you thoughts?

Travis Mills: My brother-in-law was beside me in the hospital. I kept asking him, ‘Am I paralyzed? I don’t feel my legs or arms.’ He told me, ‘No, you’re not paralyzed. You’re missing your arms and legs.’

TMH: When the incident happened, you must have had a strong foundation, right?

TM: I had the support of my beautiful wife and daughter, as well as my family. I was always moving forward, never backwards.

TMH: What got you into the military?

TM: I wanted adventure. I really wanted some fun.

TMH: Is this your first time in Miami?

TM: It is my first time. I’m excited. I’m going to sky dive in Homestead, go to a Heat game and have a good time.

TMH: How did it feel being filmed?

TM: It didn’t bother me at all. I think it bothered the cameramen.

TMH: What was it like to have a screening of the documentary at Times Square?

TM: Awesome. It sold out, over 400-plus tickets. Everyone was into it. People were excited.

TMH: What do you hope people get from the film?

TM: My mantra, ‘Never give up, never quit.’ It’s gonna get better. Reminisce, don’t dwell. Tell me I can’t, and I’ll show you I can. I go work out, fish, kayak and even drive.

TMH: How do you workout? What exercises do you do?

TM: I do lots of abs. I run. I walk with no wheelchair. Pretty much anything that gets my heart racing. Summer’s coming up, and I got to get beach body ready. You know how that is. It’s funny how people forget I don’t have arms or legs, so when someone suggests a product for my nails, I laugh and tell them, ‘what nails?’

TMH: What do you drive? And how do you drive?

TM: I’m currently driving my Ford F250 truck, and I also drive a van. There’s a handle on my right side that controls the acceleration and break. I use my prosthetic hands to control it.

TMH: As a retired U.S. staff sergeant, what do you miss from the military?

TM: I enjoyed the brotherhood and adventure. I got asked to stay, but I choose my family.

TMH: Do you have any future goals?

TM: Be there for my daughter. She’ll watch me fall and struggle sometimes, but never see me fail.

SCREENING OF “TRAVIS: A SOLDIER’S STORY”

Where: Cosford Cinema

When: Monday at 7 p.m.

The screening will be followed by a Q&A with Sgt. Travis Mills. Tickets cost $35 and can only be purchased online at travisthemoviemiami.eventbrite.com.

Frank Malvar

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...