Campus Life, News

Brazilian artist visits campus to discuss creative career

Artist Romero Britto spoke to international students from the Intensive English Program on Friday morning in the SAC. He spoke about the meaning of art. Yinghui Sun // Staff Photographer

Neo-Pop artist Romero Britto visited campus Friday to discuss his experience as a Brazilian-born immigrant and artist with students in the Intensive English Program (IEP).

As part of a project about art, students in the program talked to the artist about his life and work.

Sitting in front of a projector displaying images of his endeavors, Britto listed his inspirations.

“At the end of the day … the whole world inspires me,” he said. “I surround myself with things that I like. I paint things that are positive to me.”

Some students, like Genivaldo Panzo who is in his fourth semester, were excited to see how culture affects art.

“I’m here to see Britto because I want to know the kind of art of today, and I want to know about what inspires him to do it … In Angolan art we show our culture. This is something new for me,” Panzo said.

However, others like Mohammed Hamadah, who is in his second semester in the program, were not as thrilled about the project.

“I’m not that excited because I don’t like his work, but I can appreciate it,” he said. “I think his works are all similar to each other.”

Though his work may seem similar to Hamadah, Britto believes that art should reflect personal interest even if the work’s meaning is not clear.

Discouraged about his future and the possibilities offered to him in Brazil, Britto decided to travel to Europe in 1983, ultimately landing in Miami, where he has been living for the past 27 years. He initially thought of pursuing a career in law before dedicating himself to art.

“I was about to finish my fourth semester [of law school], but I was so miserable,” he said. “My art has taken me to places I never knew about.”

Britto also works as an activist. He has donated to more than 250 charitable organizations each year, was chosen as a speaker for the arts at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, and is an inaugural founding benefactor of the Harvard International Negotiation Program.

“It’s important for everybody to participate in the community … it’s the right thing to do,” he said. “Every time I give something to someone, I have a great feeling. It’s pretty inspiring.”

In his presentation, Britto explored what art and education can do for one another.

“Art means inspiration … The more educated you are, the more you are able to understand opportunities all around you … Education can help so much a person, a community, a country. Knowledge is power,” he said.

Though he did not receive formal art training, he said he has visited many museums and surrounded himself with art and books on art history. Art education “is helpful but is not the entire picture … It’s about yourself.”

Britto encourages students to pursue their passions above all else.

“If you love something, you have to act on it,” he said. “If you want to be successful, you have to work hard.”

Cristina Londono

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...