Campus Life, News

Brazilian artist visits campus to discuss creative career

Artist Romero Britto spoke to international students from the Intensive English Program on Friday morning in the SAC. He spoke about the meaning of art. Yinghui Sun // Staff Photographer

Neo-Pop artist Romero Britto visited campus Friday to discuss his experience as a Brazilian-born immigrant and artist with students in the Intensive English Program (IEP).

As part of a project about art, students in the program talked to the artist about his life and work.

Sitting in front of a projector displaying images of his endeavors, Britto listed his inspirations.

“At the end of the day … the whole world inspires me,” he said. “I surround myself with things that I like. I paint things that are positive to me.”

Some students, like Genivaldo Panzo who is in his fourth semester, were excited to see how culture affects art.

“I’m here to see Britto because I want to know the kind of art of today, and I want to know about what inspires him to do it … In Angolan art we show our culture. This is something new for me,” Panzo said.

However, others like Mohammed Hamadah, who is in his second semester in the program, were not as thrilled about the project.

“I’m not that excited because I don’t like his work, but I can appreciate it,” he said. “I think his works are all similar to each other.”

Though his work may seem similar to Hamadah, Britto believes that art should reflect personal interest even if the work’s meaning is not clear.

Discouraged about his future and the possibilities offered to him in Brazil, Britto decided to travel to Europe in 1983, ultimately landing in Miami, where he has been living for the past 27 years. He initially thought of pursuing a career in law before dedicating himself to art.

“I was about to finish my fourth semester [of law school], but I was so miserable,” he said. “My art has taken me to places I never knew about.”

Britto also works as an activist. He has donated to more than 250 charitable organizations each year, was chosen as a speaker for the arts at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, and is an inaugural founding benefactor of the Harvard International Negotiation Program.

“It’s important for everybody to participate in the community … it’s the right thing to do,” he said. “Every time I give something to someone, I have a great feeling. It’s pretty inspiring.”

In his presentation, Britto explored what art and education can do for one another.

“Art means inspiration … The more educated you are, the more you are able to understand opportunities all around you … Education can help so much a person, a community, a country. Knowledge is power,” he said.

Though he did not receive formal art training, he said he has visited many museums and surrounded himself with art and books on art history. Art education “is helpful but is not the entire picture … It’s about yourself.”

Britto encourages students to pursue their passions above all else.

“If you love something, you have to act on it,” he said. “If you want to be successful, you have to work hard.”

Cristina Londono

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...