Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“Generation War” shakes to the core

Generation War

Courtesy Betafilm.com

A German film about WWII sounds like just another history lesson on the tragedy of war. Yet “Generation War” courageously reinvigorates the familiar story with the “I-need-to-know-what-happens-next” relevance usually reserved for a favorite TV show.
Enlisting its viewers on the fraying journeys of five best friends through the course of the war’s span, the film gives flesh and blood to a hard-to-relate to era. Rather than approach the difficult subject matter with grandiose pomp or melodrama, it reverses the model, focusing on specific, mini-moments these five characters experience. The realistic performances of the actors and the vivid personas of the characters make it impossible not to fall in love with them and fight with them.
All starting in Berlin with idealism and pretty faces, the characters follow different paths through the five years. The story masterfully links them all together at unbelievable and unpredictable points. Yet, the plot never becomes too incredulous since the character’s motivations are constant and believable.
The action, story and cinematography are so engrossing that the two-part, 4-and-a-half-hour mini series feels short. It quickly jumps and weaves between the characters, artfully balancing the shifts from drama to action. At first, it leverages the weight of the characters to pull you into the fight sequences. But eventually, like the soldier who returns to war because he cannot stand the triviality of sitting at home, the action becomes a part of you.
Daring to explore below the surface, it digs past the glorified lectures of patriotism and pacifism to expose the stomach-punching, core-shaking truth. With the thoroughness of a classic and the urgency of a blockbuster, the film captures every facet of war, undaunted by the ferocity, desolation and immorality it reproduces.
Though the film emphasizes the senselessness of the monstrous war, the outcomes and views of the characters are so varied that the message avoids falling into a moral of a story.
But one thing is certain: Just as one of the characters would say about war, “No one comes out the same.”

If You Go:
Cosford Cinema for the next two weekends starting Feb. 28
For more film recommendations, visit Luisa’s Free Foreign Film Friday blog.

Luisa Andonie

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...