SG plans outreaches, student events for this month

Welcome to the February edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) Column. We have a lot going on, so let’s get right into it.

This month, SG underwent a revamp in the way we communicate with the student body. We felt it was important to increase our transparency and have a more direct dialogue with all of you. Some examples of what we’ve changed are publishing a letter from SG President Bhumi Patel every Monday, creating a graphic every Friday summarizing the week and using #UMSenateLive to live-tweet every Senate meeting on Wednesday afternoons.

SG Elections were also this month. Congratulations to the elected students, and thank you to the 1,951 students that voted. If you are interested in getting involved in SG, applications that are currently available for certain Senate seats are due Friday at 5 p.m. Visit miami.edu/sg and click on the “Get Involved” tab to find the application.

The end of March is going to be a big one for Student Government. On March 19, we will spend the afternoon on the Rock talking to students. That night we have Eat ‘N Greet, a forum for student organizations to communicate with SG. On March 20 at 5 p.m. on the Rock is the “State of the U” address, a speech by Bhumi discussing how this year went. Then, on March 22, we are organizing a trip to the Venetian Pool.

ECO Agency’s Kill-A-Watt competition is in full swing. Using the software on buildingdashboard.net/miami, ECO is tracking how various buildings on campus use energy. The building with the most energy savings by March 7 will win free Chipotle.

Category 5 wants to give a shout-out to all the freshmen that participated in Freshman Walk at the baseball game against the University of Florida. Many exciting promotions are coming for baseball games, so make sure you like facebook.com/UMCategory5 for more information.

The Outdoor Fitness Court opened this month. This initiative was part of our goal of improving health and wellness for students on campus. We also held the first Entrepreneur’s Row, which gave student entrepreneurs an opportunity to showcase their businesses to the student body and campus at-large.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...