SG plans outreaches, student events for this month

Welcome to the February edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) Column. We have a lot going on, so let’s get right into it.

This month, SG underwent a revamp in the way we communicate with the student body. We felt it was important to increase our transparency and have a more direct dialogue with all of you. Some examples of what we’ve changed are publishing a letter from SG President Bhumi Patel every Monday, creating a graphic every Friday summarizing the week and using #UMSenateLive to live-tweet every Senate meeting on Wednesday afternoons.

SG Elections were also this month. Congratulations to the elected students, and thank you to the 1,951 students that voted. If you are interested in getting involved in SG, applications that are currently available for certain Senate seats are due Friday at 5 p.m. Visit miami.edu/sg and click on the “Get Involved” tab to find the application.

The end of March is going to be a big one for Student Government. On March 19, we will spend the afternoon on the Rock talking to students. That night we have Eat ‘N Greet, a forum for student organizations to communicate with SG. On March 20 at 5 p.m. on the Rock is the “State of the U” address, a speech by Bhumi discussing how this year went. Then, on March 22, we are organizing a trip to the Venetian Pool.

ECO Agency’s Kill-A-Watt competition is in full swing. Using the software on buildingdashboard.net/miami, ECO is tracking how various buildings on campus use energy. The building with the most energy savings by March 7 will win free Chipotle.

Category 5 wants to give a shout-out to all the freshmen that participated in Freshman Walk at the baseball game against the University of Florida. Many exciting promotions are coming for baseball games, so make sure you like facebook.com/UMCategory5 for more information.

The Outdoor Fitness Court opened this month. This initiative was part of our goal of improving health and wellness for students on campus. We also held the first Entrepreneur’s Row, which gave student entrepreneurs an opportunity to showcase their businesses to the student body and campus at-large.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...