SG plans outreaches, student events for this month

Welcome to the February edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) Column. We have a lot going on, so let’s get right into it.

This month, SG underwent a revamp in the way we communicate with the student body. We felt it was important to increase our transparency and have a more direct dialogue with all of you. Some examples of what we’ve changed are publishing a letter from SG President Bhumi Patel every Monday, creating a graphic every Friday summarizing the week and using #UMSenateLive to live-tweet every Senate meeting on Wednesday afternoons.

SG Elections were also this month. Congratulations to the elected students, and thank you to the 1,951 students that voted. If you are interested in getting involved in SG, applications that are currently available for certain Senate seats are due Friday at 5 p.m. Visit miami.edu/sg and click on the “Get Involved” tab to find the application.

The end of March is going to be a big one for Student Government. On March 19, we will spend the afternoon on the Rock talking to students. That night we have Eat ‘N Greet, a forum for student organizations to communicate with SG. On March 20 at 5 p.m. on the Rock is the “State of the U” address, a speech by Bhumi discussing how this year went. Then, on March 22, we are organizing a trip to the Venetian Pool.

ECO Agency’s Kill-A-Watt competition is in full swing. Using the software on buildingdashboard.net/miami, ECO is tracking how various buildings on campus use energy. The building with the most energy savings by March 7 will win free Chipotle.

Category 5 wants to give a shout-out to all the freshmen that participated in Freshman Walk at the baseball game against the University of Florida. Many exciting promotions are coming for baseball games, so make sure you like facebook.com/UMCategory5 for more information.

The Outdoor Fitness Court opened this month. This initiative was part of our goal of improving health and wellness for students on campus. We also held the first Entrepreneur’s Row, which gave student entrepreneurs an opportunity to showcase their businesses to the student body and campus at-large.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...