News, Photo

Hillary Clinton visits BankUnited Center Wednesday night

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

POLITICAL PROWESS: Former Secretary of State Hillary R. Clinton visited campus Wednesday night to address students.

President Donna E. Shalala, who served as United States Secretary of Health and Human Services while Clinton was first lady, introduced Clinton to the stage.

“She is my friend and colleague and we share too many memories to count,” Shalala said.

Similarly, Clinton spoke about Shalala when she took the stage.

“As someone who has known her for a very long time, she has the capacity to inspire, and she does it by bringing people together,” Clinton said about Shalala.

Clinton spoke about the importance of participation.

“This generation is one of the most open-minded and tolerant we have ever seen,” Clinton said. “The more we encourag e people to participate, to have a stake in the future, the more well off we will be.”

After her remarks, Shalala conducted a Q&A session, for which students submitted questions in the days leading to the event. Topics discussed ranged from the situations abroad in Venezuela and Syria, environmental issues and health care affordability.

Monica Herndon

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...