News, Photo

Hillary Clinton visits BankUnited Center Wednesday night

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

POLITICAL PROWESS: Former Secretary of State Hillary R. Clinton visited campus Wednesday night to address students.

President Donna E. Shalala, who served as United States Secretary of Health and Human Services while Clinton was first lady, introduced Clinton to the stage.

“She is my friend and colleague and we share too many memories to count,” Shalala said.

Similarly, Clinton spoke about Shalala when she took the stage.

“As someone who has known her for a very long time, she has the capacity to inspire, and she does it by bringing people together,” Clinton said about Shalala.

Clinton spoke about the importance of participation.

“This generation is one of the most open-minded and tolerant we have ever seen,” Clinton said. “The more we encourag e people to participate, to have a stake in the future, the more well off we will be.”

After her remarks, Shalala conducted a Q&A session, for which students submitted questions in the days leading to the event. Topics discussed ranged from the situations abroad in Venezuela and Syria, environmental issues and health care affordability.

Monica Herndon

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...