Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Club teaches nonviolent conflict resolution techniques

Instructor Roger Sierra practices a dive over trusting students Nicole Steinberg, Joachner Philippe, and Kotaro Seto at their practice at the Wellness Center on Monday, February 24th. Becca Magrino // Staff Photographer

Every Sunday, Monday and Wednesday at the Wellness Center, students in the Aikido Club throw and pin each other – but the ultimate goal is not to harm anyone at all.

Members of the club – which began at UM 26 years ago – practice the Japanese martial art, founded by Morihei Ueshiba, that teaches practitioners to solve conflicts with minimal damage inflicted upon all parties involved.

“The main idea of aikido as we teach it is that it’s not just a martial art, it’s a method of conflict resolution that can be applied to life as a whole,” said Ben Sager, club president. “Unlike most martial arts, the goal isn’t to defeat your opponent so much as it is to end the conflict with the least resistance and least damage to the other person.”

In the interest of injury-free conflict resolution, aikido teaches students to flow with an opponent’s natural momentum. In fact, it does not involve any punches or kicks.

“To get opponents off balance, we generally move with their motion and when it reaches us, they have overextended just enough to turn them in other ways,” Sager said.  “This relates [to an argument]: You are taking the energy given to you, moving against it briefly with your own energy and ideas, then turning in the direction the body naturally goes, and ideally sending them on their way with the experience and energy you gave them to consider.”

In many forms of physical combat, such as boxing and mixed martial arts, the object is to bloody and knock out an opponent. But in aikido, the goal is to pin an adversary to the ground in the most pain-free way possible. The Aikido Club’s four guiding principles are non-resistance, non-effort, gentleness and reconciliation.

“Non-effort and non-resistance don’t necessarily mean no effort and no resistance,” Aikido Club’s head instructor Roger Sierra said. “They’re talking about redirecting tension, staying calm and not expending too much energy.”

“Gentleness is about causing as little physical damage to an opponent as possible in a given situation, and reconciliation is about focusing on getting to a group consensus where everyone can be happy and safe,” he added.

In aikido class, which usually draws about 10 students, Sierra stresses the principle behind the unique style of martial art – nonviolent conflict reconciliation –  rather than endlessly drilling students on technique.

“I like to focus on the self-improvement aspect of martial arts rather than on technical perfection,” Sierra said. “We don’t train each and every technique. It’s the concepts behind the techniques that are important.”

Aikido is equal parts self-defense and philosophy. It teaches practitioners to fight opponents with respect rather than with spite, and its guiding principles are abundantly useful in everyday life. Just ask Sara Linker, a club member who has been practicing aikido for four years.

“Aikido has given me analogies with which to look at my daily life,” Linker said. “It’s taught me how to deal well with bosses and how to deal with people in general. Because of aikido, I feel confident in figuring out how to solve and approach conflicts.”

For More information

Aikido Club dues are $40 per semester or $70 per year.  For more information on joining, email Sager at b.sager@umiami.edu or Sierra at r.sierra@umiami.edu.

Lee Eisen

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...