Administration, News

Wellness Center director to retire

Norm Parsons, executive director of the Wellness Center, announced his retirement Friday.

When Parsons officially steps down in October, it will mark his 43rd year at the university.

“To be honest, it’s time to try to go on, I’ve got a couple of grandkids and some grand cats that I need to visit,” he said.

Parsons led the efforts to build the Wellness Center in 1996 and then worked to facilitate the subsequent expansion in 2011.

Additionally, Parsons was coach of the 1977 and 1978 National Champion Women’s Golf team and has served as chair of the Student Publications Committee since 1985. He is also a member of Iron Arrow and was its adviser from 1995 to 2009.

He is also credited with expanding the intramural and club sports programs.

Among his accolades, Parsons was also inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.

“It’s probably time for some new blood in the old Wellness Center and at the U but it’s been a great run and I’ve had a wonderful time,” Parsons said.

The Miami Hurricane will feature extended coverage of Parsons’ retirement in Thursday’s issue. 

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...