Administration, News

Wellness Center director to retire

Norm Parsons, executive director of the Wellness Center, announced his retirement Friday.

When Parsons officially steps down in October, it will mark his 43rd year at the university.

“To be honest, it’s time to try to go on, I’ve got a couple of grandkids and some grand cats that I need to visit,” he said.

Parsons led the efforts to build the Wellness Center in 1996 and then worked to facilitate the subsequent expansion in 2011.

Additionally, Parsons was coach of the 1977 and 1978 National Champion Women’s Golf team and has served as chair of the Student Publications Committee since 1985. He is also a member of Iron Arrow and was its adviser from 1995 to 2009.

He is also credited with expanding the intramural and club sports programs.

Among his accolades, Parsons was also inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.

“It’s probably time for some new blood in the old Wellness Center and at the U but it’s been a great run and I’ve had a wonderful time,” Parsons said.

The Miami Hurricane will feature extended coverage of Parsons’ retirement in Thursday’s issue. 

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...