Administration, News

Wellness Center director to retire

Norm Parsons, executive director of the Wellness Center, announced his retirement Friday.

When Parsons officially steps down in October, it will mark his 43rd year at the university.

“To be honest, it’s time to try to go on, I’ve got a couple of grandkids and some grand cats that I need to visit,” he said.

Parsons led the efforts to build the Wellness Center in 1996 and then worked to facilitate the subsequent expansion in 2011.

Additionally, Parsons was coach of the 1977 and 1978 National Champion Women’s Golf team and has served as chair of the Student Publications Committee since 1985. He is also a member of Iron Arrow and was its adviser from 1995 to 2009.

He is also credited with expanding the intramural and club sports programs.

Among his accolades, Parsons was also inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.

“It’s probably time for some new blood in the old Wellness Center and at the U but it’s been a great run and I’ve had a wonderful time,” Parsons said.

The Miami Hurricane will feature extended coverage of Parsons’ retirement in Thursday’s issue. 

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...