Administration, News

Wellness Center director to retire

Norm Parsons, executive director of the Wellness Center, announced his retirement Friday.

When Parsons officially steps down in October, it will mark his 43rd year at the university.

“To be honest, it’s time to try to go on, I’ve got a couple of grandkids and some grand cats that I need to visit,” he said.

Parsons led the efforts to build the Wellness Center in 1996 and then worked to facilitate the subsequent expansion in 2011.

Additionally, Parsons was coach of the 1977 and 1978 National Champion Women’s Golf team and has served as chair of the Student Publications Committee since 1985. He is also a member of Iron Arrow and was its adviser from 1995 to 2009.

He is also credited with expanding the intramural and club sports programs.

Among his accolades, Parsons was also inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.

“It’s probably time for some new blood in the old Wellness Center and at the U but it’s been a great run and I’ve had a wonderful time,” Parsons said.

The Miami Hurricane will feature extended coverage of Parsons’ retirement in Thursday’s issue. 

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...