Weekend Roundup

Senior Melissa Bolivar and sophomore Kelsey Laurente play doubles during the match against Notre Dame on Sunday afternoon. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

There was a lot of action around Coral Gables this weekend. The men’s and women’s basketball teams, baseball team and men’s and women’s tennis teams all hosted important matchups

Brown hits 1,000

The Hurricanes turned in their finest ACC performance of the season on Saturday, destroying Boston College 69-42.

It was a dominant game all around for Miami, which got 22 points from Rion Brown, plus 14 points and nine rebounds from Erik Swoope. In the process, Brown surpassed 1,000 career points. He is the 35th men’s basketball player in Hurricanes history to reach the milestone.

Boston College (7-20, 3-11 ACC) was riding high after it took down No. 1 Syracuse earlier in the week. But the Eagles managed just 32 percent shooting during the afternoon contest at the BankUnited Center.

Miami, on the other hand, shot 47 percent with a 50-percent clip from 3-point range (7-for-14). The Canes (14-13, 5-9 ACC) have won back-to-back conference games for the first time this year.

With four games left on their schedule, the Hurricanes now hit the road for three straight. First up is No. 14 Virginia at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The Cavaliers took over first place in the ACCstandings when Syracuse fell to Duke on Saturday.

After that matchup, Miami faces N.C. State and Clemson before returning wrapping up the season March 8 at home against Wake Forest.

Canes strong at ACC tournament

Miami’s swimming and diving team traveled to Greensboro, N.C., to compete in the 2014 ACC Championships. In total, the Canes brought home seven individual medals.

Sam Dorman took silver in the men’s 3-meter dive, while Thea Vock placed second in the women’s 1-meter dive.

Cheyenne Cousineau and Tanner Wilfong also medaled for Miami in their respective dive events, which helped propel the Hurricanes to a third-place overall finish for the men and a ninth-place standing for the UM women.

Miami returns to Greensboro in two weeks for the NCAA Zone Diving Meet. That event will be held March 10 to March 12.

Miami beats Wake Forest

Adrienne Motley scored 15 points to lead the Miami women’s basketball team past Wake Forest on Sunday.

The Canes withstood a 23-point, 13-rebound performance from Demon Deacons forward Dearica Hamby and got the win.

Miami pulled out the 72-64 victory with key contributions from Keyona Hayes (12 points) and Suriya Mcguire (11 points).

The Hurricanes (14-13, 6-8 ACC) have a chance to reach .500 in conference play if they win their last two games.

They face Virginia on Thursday, then Pittsburgh at home March 2.

Spencer Dandes

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...