Weekend Roundup

Senior Melissa Bolivar and sophomore Kelsey Laurente play doubles during the match against Notre Dame on Sunday afternoon. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

There was a lot of action around Coral Gables this weekend. The men’s and women’s basketball teams, baseball team and men’s and women’s tennis teams all hosted important matchups

Brown hits 1,000

The Hurricanes turned in their finest ACC performance of the season on Saturday, destroying Boston College 69-42.

It was a dominant game all around for Miami, which got 22 points from Rion Brown, plus 14 points and nine rebounds from Erik Swoope. In the process, Brown surpassed 1,000 career points. He is the 35th men’s basketball player in Hurricanes history to reach the milestone.

Boston College (7-20, 3-11 ACC) was riding high after it took down No. 1 Syracuse earlier in the week. But the Eagles managed just 32 percent shooting during the afternoon contest at the BankUnited Center.

Miami, on the other hand, shot 47 percent with a 50-percent clip from 3-point range (7-for-14). The Canes (14-13, 5-9 ACC) have won back-to-back conference games for the first time this year.

With four games left on their schedule, the Hurricanes now hit the road for three straight. First up is No. 14 Virginia at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The Cavaliers took over first place in the ACCstandings when Syracuse fell to Duke on Saturday.

After that matchup, Miami faces N.C. State and Clemson before returning wrapping up the season March 8 at home against Wake Forest.

Canes strong at ACC tournament

Miami’s swimming and diving team traveled to Greensboro, N.C., to compete in the 2014 ACC Championships. In total, the Canes brought home seven individual medals.

Sam Dorman took silver in the men’s 3-meter dive, while Thea Vock placed second in the women’s 1-meter dive.

Cheyenne Cousineau and Tanner Wilfong also medaled for Miami in their respective dive events, which helped propel the Hurricanes to a third-place overall finish for the men and a ninth-place standing for the UM women.

Miami returns to Greensboro in two weeks for the NCAA Zone Diving Meet. That event will be held March 10 to March 12.

Miami beats Wake Forest

Adrienne Motley scored 15 points to lead the Miami women’s basketball team past Wake Forest on Sunday.

The Canes withstood a 23-point, 13-rebound performance from Demon Deacons forward Dearica Hamby and got the win.

Miami pulled out the 72-64 victory with key contributions from Keyona Hayes (12 points) and Suriya Mcguire (11 points).

The Hurricanes (14-13, 6-8 ACC) have a chance to reach .500 in conference play if they win their last two games.

They face Virginia on Thursday, then Pittsburgh at home March 2.

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...