Campus Life, News

Symposium promotes social justice

Dr. Josh Diem, a school of Education professor, talks to students attending the ACC Leadership Symposium about the importance of a grassroots campaign. The title of his workshop was "Organizing Social Movements." This was the first time the leadership symposium was held at UM. Ashley McBride // Contributing Photographer

Dr. Josh Diem, a school of Education professor, talks to students attending the ACC Leadership Symposium about the importance of a grassroots campaign. The title of his workshop was “Organizing Social Movements.” This was the first time the leadership symposium was held at UM. Ashley McBride // Contributing Photographer

The 2014 Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Leadership Symposium aimed to develop the next generation of leaders.

Student delegates came from across the ACC schools to discuss this year’s topic, social justice and inequalities. The conference was held from Friday to Sunday at the Student Activities Center (SAC).

Themed “The Next Generation of Social Change,” the symposium was held at UM for the first time, and it was hosted in conjunction with the Butler Center for Service and Leadership.

“We’re not only just a great city that has many social issues that we’re faced with, but also we can show how we are making a positive step with these issues within the community of Miami,” said Andrew Wiemer, director of the Butler Center.

The SAC ballrooms were the hub for students and advisers from 16 schools in the ACC. They traveled to Miami to participate in workshops focused on topics like community organizing.

These workshops featured leaders within the UM community, as well as community leaders from the Miami area. The workshop sessions aimed to prepare students for futures in organizing social movements and affecting change on a societal level.

The symposium was planned by a student planning committee, made up of UM students who had participated in the ACC Leadership Symposium in the past at other schools. Preparations began more than a year ago.

As part of the conference, students participated in social media. The planning committee created the “#ACCNextGen” hashtag and an official Leadership Symposium Twitter account – @ACCSymposium – to keep the discussions going once the formal part of the conference ended.

“While the conversations going on in these rooms are important, I think if they stayed in these rooms, it wouldn’t have as great of an impact,” said Mike Piacentino, the social media coordinator for the event.

In addition to attending workshops, students were divided into teams based on a social issue, such as education, gentrification, human trafficking, sexual health and more.

Throughout the weekend, the students worked in groups to develop an action plan to address their specific issue, and then present it at the conference. The final presentation served as a culmination of the students’ experience.

For a video on the ACC Leadership Symposium, visit themiamihurricane.com/tmhtv.

Ashley McBride

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.