News Briefs 2/24

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, former United States Secretary of State and former U.S. Senator from New York, will visit the University of Miami Wednesday at the BankUnited Center. Her keynote remarks will begin at 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the event are still available at the University Center ticket window. Only one ticket is allowed per valid Cane Card. The Miami Hurricane will be live tweeting throughout Clinton’s visit, using the hashtag “#HillaryVisitsUM.” Highlights from the event will also be featured on the Hurricane’s multimedia page, themiamihurricane.com/tmhtv.

Greek Week

Greek Week began Sunday with opening ceremonies. As part of Greek Week, the annual blood drive will take place Monday to Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the Student Activities Center ballrooms. Philanthropy Day will take place Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Rock. The God and Goddess event will be Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the UC Patio.

Safe Spring Break

PIER 21 will be presenting Safe Spring Break programs from noon to 2 p.m. Monday to Thursday at the Rock. The events will focus on topics such as personal and highway safety, alcohol, impaired driving, sleep and sun safety. The theme will be “Check Yourself before You Wreck Yourself.”

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...