Edge, Theater

Best local spots to watch theatrical shows

Whether you’re tired of re-watching the same old shows on Netflix, searching for a classier spot for a date night or hunting for something new to do off campus, look no further than Miami’s bustling performing arts scene. With exciting shows happening all the time and the incredible bargain on student tickets, this town has something for everyone. Here are a few of  The Miami Hurricane’s favorite venues for live theater performances in the area:

Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts is Miami’s premiere destination for all things entertainment. The Arsht Center hosts the national tours of Broadway productions in its grandiose Ziff Ballet Opera House, as well as more intimate productions (occasionally in collaboration with UM) on its Carnival Studio Theater stage. No site has a more diverse array of offerings: festivals celebrating flamenco dance and Chinese culture, orchestral performances, opera, ballet and even celebrities such as Whoopi Goldberg and Jay Leno are on the schedule for the rest of this semester.

The Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, Fla. The Arsht has its own Metro stop, which you can reach by either by taking the bus or the MetroMover from the Government Center station.

GableStage at the Biltmore is your best bet for quality drama in the area. The theater has made a name for itself presenting challenging works fresh from the Broadway stage. Come prepared to be moved and to leave seeing the world from a new perspective.

The GableStage is located at 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, Fla. GableStage is located less than three miles from campus. 

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre is a great place to start for the casual theatergoer. The venue presents excellent productions of commercial hits on its mainstage (next up: Monty Python’s farcical musical “Spamalot”), including shows never before staged in South Florida. They also stage non-musicals in a smaller upstairs space, and even have a thriving season of children’s theater.

Actors’ Playhouse is located at 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Fla. 

Miami Theater Center is a destination for theater that is more off-the-beaten track. While they do occasionally produce full-scale plays, this venue is better known for the SandBox Series, where artists-in-residence create boundary-pushing works in their black box space. These performances are often immersive, allowing the audience to walk through and even interact with the non-traditional sets, and frequently culminate in a talk-back with the creator. A night at MTC will never fail to be interesting. The theater also offers workshop intensives and screens with more than 300 independent films a year in conjunction with O Cinema.

Miami Theater Center is located at 9806 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores, Fla. Free parking is provided. 

And don’t forget UM’s very own Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. Come and see some of your classmates demonstrate their talents on the stage. Shows are free for students with their Cane Card on the Tuesday night performances of each run. The last production of the semester is the classic play “Our Town,” opening April 16.

The Ring Theatre is located at 1312 Miller Drive, Coral Gables, Fla. The Ring is located between the Frost School and the Rathskeller, adjacent to the Law School and the Gusman Concert Hall.

Madelyn Paquette

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...