Edge, Theater

Best local spots to watch theatrical shows

Whether you’re tired of re-watching the same old shows on Netflix, searching for a classier spot for a date night or hunting for something new to do off campus, look no further than Miami’s bustling performing arts scene. With exciting shows happening all the time and the incredible bargain on student tickets, this town has something for everyone. Here are a few of  The Miami Hurricane’s favorite venues for live theater performances in the area:

Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts is Miami’s premiere destination for all things entertainment. The Arsht Center hosts the national tours of Broadway productions in its grandiose Ziff Ballet Opera House, as well as more intimate productions (occasionally in collaboration with UM) on its Carnival Studio Theater stage. No site has a more diverse array of offerings: festivals celebrating flamenco dance and Chinese culture, orchestral performances, opera, ballet and even celebrities such as Whoopi Goldberg and Jay Leno are on the schedule for the rest of this semester.

The Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, Fla. The Arsht has its own Metro stop, which you can reach by either by taking the bus or the MetroMover from the Government Center station.

GableStage at the Biltmore is your best bet for quality drama in the area. The theater has made a name for itself presenting challenging works fresh from the Broadway stage. Come prepared to be moved and to leave seeing the world from a new perspective.

The GableStage is located at 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, Fla. GableStage is located less than three miles from campus. 

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre is a great place to start for the casual theatergoer. The venue presents excellent productions of commercial hits on its mainstage (next up: Monty Python’s farcical musical “Spamalot”), including shows never before staged in South Florida. They also stage non-musicals in a smaller upstairs space, and even have a thriving season of children’s theater.

Actors’ Playhouse is located at 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Fla. 

Miami Theater Center is a destination for theater that is more off-the-beaten track. While they do occasionally produce full-scale plays, this venue is better known for the SandBox Series, where artists-in-residence create boundary-pushing works in their black box space. These performances are often immersive, allowing the audience to walk through and even interact with the non-traditional sets, and frequently culminate in a talk-back with the creator. A night at MTC will never fail to be interesting. The theater also offers workshop intensives and screens with more than 300 independent films a year in conjunction with O Cinema.

Miami Theater Center is located at 9806 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores, Fla. Free parking is provided. 

And don’t forget UM’s very own Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. Come and see some of your classmates demonstrate their talents on the stage. Shows are free for students with their Cane Card on the Tuesday night performances of each run. The last production of the semester is the classic play “Our Town,” opening April 16.

The Ring Theatre is located at 1312 Miller Drive, Coral Gables, Fla. The Ring is located between the Frost School and the Rathskeller, adjacent to the Law School and the Gusman Concert Hall.

Madelyn Paquette

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...