Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“The Boys are Back” advocates optimism despite sadness

“The Boys are Back” – Australia, UK – Netflix instant watch

Adapted from the witty memoir by a British sports journalist about raising his sons after his wife dies, “The Boys are Back” advocates dealing with difficulties regarding the enthusiasm of a “yes.”

Instead of stiffly copying the memoir into a movie, the film simply recreates its essence. It captures the same tone by weaving in the anecdotes and the details instead of forcing them in chronologically.

The result is a refreshing and utterly human recount of the struggle between “yes” and “no,”and the coexistence of mourning and living. The father of the children, played by Clive Owen, quickly steers away from the ideal father figure, with his mood swings and strange rules, resulting in a more interesting and relatable character.

Paralleling the film’s discussion on the stages of life, the film is true to life in that it does not have a clearly defined beginning, middle and end.

Instead, it is a string of moments, all linked together. Finally, they discreetly reach a climax when least expected.

Unpredictable, the plot navigates discreetly under the surface, with non-verbal insinuations until it erupts with heart-punching confessions.

Approaching thought-meriting questions about dads, divorce and death with realistic relevance, “The Boys are Back” injects the sad story with the satisfying joie-de-vivre we should all strive to have.

Luisa Andonie

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...