Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“The Boys are Back” advocates optimism despite sadness

“The Boys are Back” – Australia, UK – Netflix instant watch

Adapted from the witty memoir by a British sports journalist about raising his sons after his wife dies, “The Boys are Back” advocates dealing with difficulties regarding the enthusiasm of a “yes.”

Instead of stiffly copying the memoir into a movie, the film simply recreates its essence. It captures the same tone by weaving in the anecdotes and the details instead of forcing them in chronologically.

The result is a refreshing and utterly human recount of the struggle between “yes” and “no,”and the coexistence of mourning and living. The father of the children, played by Clive Owen, quickly steers away from the ideal father figure, with his mood swings and strange rules, resulting in a more interesting and relatable character.

Paralleling the film’s discussion on the stages of life, the film is true to life in that it does not have a clearly defined beginning, middle and end.

Instead, it is a string of moments, all linked together. Finally, they discreetly reach a climax when least expected.

Unpredictable, the plot navigates discreetly under the surface, with non-verbal insinuations until it erupts with heart-punching confessions.

Approaching thought-meriting questions about dads, divorce and death with realistic relevance, “The Boys are Back” injects the sad story with the satisfying joie-de-vivre we should all strive to have.

Luisa Andonie

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...