“Unite the U” ticket wins Student Government election

Unite the U candidates and supporters celebrate their sweep of the President, Vice-President, and Treasurer positions during the announcement of the student government election results Thursday afternoon on the Rock. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Student Government (SG) elections results were announced at the Rock Thursday at 5:30 p.m.

The “Unite the U” ticket was elected into the Executive Office. Alessandria San Roman was elected as president, William Herrera as vice president, and Dariel Fagundo as treasurer.

This semester’s election had a four percent increase in voting with a total of 1,951 students as compared to last year.

For the SG Senate, seven students were elected. Tomas Cacicedo was elected for the College of Engineering. Bryon Hazzard and Austin Akira will represent the College of Arts and Sciences. Bruno Solari was chosen for the School of Communication. The commuter students will be represented by Kristen Schlotzhauer, Eric Gonzalez and Nicole Marcos.

“Unite the U” candidates as well as supporters were ecstatic, as members embraced each other and shed tears.

“I am so ecstatic. I’m honored, and I’m humbled by this entire experience,” San Roman said. “I’m happy that students came out and voted, and chose who they felt best represented them, and we’re fortunate enough to be chosen. We’re so excited to begin and make changes on campus.”

“Unite the U” supporter Masood Mohammed, a senior, was thrilled for the winning ticket and enjoyed seeing the three members celebrate.

“Everybody worked so hard day-in and day-out, so it’s really good to see that everyone’s effort came out to big reward in the end,” he said. “I want them to stay the same. They’ve been friends since they came to this university, since day one, as they’ve been telling everyone, and I want them to keep that through the ups and downs, and I have no doubt that they will.”

Herrera was overwhelmed by the support students showed.

“The supporters embody unity in every sense of the word,” he said. “Every single person embodies our team identity, and I could not be more thankful of the team we had behind us. It’s not about the three names on the back of the shirt. It’s about all the names that have chosen to represent the name on the front of the shirt.”

Fagundo likewise looks forward to working with students next year.

“We hope that they continue supporting us throughout the next year, because we’re going to be doing absolutely everything we can to make sure we’re listening to students, and we’re leaving this university a better place,” he said.

The other ticket on the ballot was “Amplify U.” Juniors Seth Furman, Scott “Skip” McClinton and Jaldhi Patel ran for the positions of president, vice president and treasurer, respectively.

“No regrets. Everyone’s still in a good mood,” Furman said. “We had fun. No courts, no violations.”

Ibk Awodelv, a supporter of “Amplify U,” felt disappointed that the ticket did not win, but he still plans to stay active and work for change on campus.

“It’ll encourage me to work with the government that is in place, and try to see my vision for the ‘U’ happening,” he said.