Open athlete tackles door to social progress

University of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam recently announced he’s gay, potentially making him the first current openly gay NFL athlete.

And all I can say is, “Finally!”

Finally, the NFL will have its first openly gay competitor still currently playing, which would be a huge step for the league.

Of course, this is only valid if he’s drafted. However, Sam absolutely will be. Not only because he is an All-American and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, but also because there are teams who want the publicity.

If Tim Tebow can continually get hired with virtually no quarterback skills, so can someone actually qualified for his position. And, just like signing Tebow guarantees a lovely boost of Christian fans, acquiring Sam garners his supporters as well.

As long as Sam becomes the first openly-gay NFL athlete this September, I can’t complain. Unless he goes to the Miami Dolphins and becomes submerged in their bullying mess. That would be an avalanche of media attention that would break the Internet.

Like most professional sports, the NFL contains countless homophobic athletes. If the players have this much trouble with the “N-word” (i.e. Riley Cooper and Richard Incognito), then I can’t imagine the struggle they face with the real “F-word.”

Of course, we can’t really blame them for that. It’s not their fault they get hit in the head for a living – it’s their parents’.

However, I’m excited by Sam’s emergence, for I hope his hiring will lead to the rise of the first gay superstar athlete. Sure, Jason Collins and Robbie Rogers are gay professional athletes, and I applaud their courage, but Collins has yet to play in a game since his announcement, and Rogers plays … well … soccer.

Therefore, we need Sam to emerge as a superstar so that he can force NFL athletes to succumb to the modern era and welcome someone who is truly no different than them.

Good news, though: Sam is a legitimate stud. All-American and SEC Defensive Player of the Year? Yes, please! This 6-foot-1, 260-pound lineman is a certified behemoth, ready to take down any offensive lineman or straight-out-of-the-Blind-Side southern racist/homophobe/jerk-face.

Sam certainly will not be the last athlete to be proud of who he is. So, get used to it NFL. And you know what, the whole sports world can get used to it, too. Welcome to the modern era, where people can be who they want, when they want.

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...