Open athlete tackles door to social progress

University of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam recently announced he’s gay, potentially making him the first current openly gay NFL athlete.

And all I can say is, “Finally!”

Finally, the NFL will have its first openly gay competitor still currently playing, which would be a huge step for the league.

Of course, this is only valid if he’s drafted. However, Sam absolutely will be. Not only because he is an All-American and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, but also because there are teams who want the publicity.

If Tim Tebow can continually get hired with virtually no quarterback skills, so can someone actually qualified for his position. And, just like signing Tebow guarantees a lovely boost of Christian fans, acquiring Sam garners his supporters as well.

As long as Sam becomes the first openly-gay NFL athlete this September, I can’t complain. Unless he goes to the Miami Dolphins and becomes submerged in their bullying mess. That would be an avalanche of media attention that would break the Internet.

Like most professional sports, the NFL contains countless homophobic athletes. If the players have this much trouble with the “N-word” (i.e. Riley Cooper and Richard Incognito), then I can’t imagine the struggle they face with the real “F-word.”

Of course, we can’t really blame them for that. It’s not their fault they get hit in the head for a living – it’s their parents’.

However, I’m excited by Sam’s emergence, for I hope his hiring will lead to the rise of the first gay superstar athlete. Sure, Jason Collins and Robbie Rogers are gay professional athletes, and I applaud their courage, but Collins has yet to play in a game since his announcement, and Rogers plays … well … soccer.

Therefore, we need Sam to emerge as a superstar so that he can force NFL athletes to succumb to the modern era and welcome someone who is truly no different than them.

Good news, though: Sam is a legitimate stud. All-American and SEC Defensive Player of the Year? Yes, please! This 6-foot-1, 260-pound lineman is a certified behemoth, ready to take down any offensive lineman or straight-out-of-the-Blind-Side southern racist/homophobe/jerk-face.

Sam certainly will not be the last athlete to be proud of who he is. So, get used to it NFL. And you know what, the whole sports world can get used to it, too. Welcome to the modern era, where people can be who they want, when they want.

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...