Basketball, Sports

Canes beat Notre Dame for first home ACC win of season

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men's basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Rion Brown scored 21 points, added 11 rebounds and five assists to lead Miami over Notre Dame on Wednesday night.

The senior guided the Canes to their first home conference victory of the season. Miami (13-13, 4-9 ACC) was 0-6 at the BankUnited Center against ACC opponents prior to the 71-64 win.

Midway through the first half, the Hurricanes engineered a 13-0 run, after which Miami never trailed. The loss dropped Notre Dame – playing its first season in the ACC – to 14-13 (5-9 ACC).

Garrius Adams scored 14 points for Miami, and Davon Reed added 12.

The Fighting Irish are 10th in the conference standings, with the Canes right behind them in 11th place.

Miami returns to the BankUnited center to face Boston College at noon on Saturday.

Spencer Dandes

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...