Basketball, Sports

Canes beat Notre Dame for first home ACC win of season

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men's basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Rion Brown scored 21 points, added 11 rebounds and five assists to lead Miami over Notre Dame on Wednesday night.

The senior guided the Canes to their first home conference victory of the season. Miami (13-13, 4-9 ACC) was 0-6 at the BankUnited Center against ACC opponents prior to the 71-64 win.

Midway through the first half, the Hurricanes engineered a 13-0 run, after which Miami never trailed. The loss dropped Notre Dame – playing its first season in the ACC – to 14-13 (5-9 ACC).

Garrius Adams scored 14 points for Miami, and Davon Reed added 12.

The Fighting Irish are 10th in the conference standings, with the Canes right behind them in 11th place.

Miami returns to the BankUnited center to face Boston College at noon on Saturday.

Spencer Dandes

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...