Sports briefs 2/20

SOCHI OLYMPICS

Lauryn Williams, the former UM track star who medaled at the 2004 and 2012 Summer Olympics, left her mark in a very different sport on Wednesday.

Williams’ elite athleticism was on full display as she took home a silver medal for Team USA in the two-woman bobsled. With her performance in Sochi, Williams became just the fifth Olympian in history to medal in both the Summer and Winter Games.

“I didn’t come here to make history,” Williams said after Wednesday’s races. “I came here to help Team USA, and I feel like I did the best I could. I’m just happy to be here, and it wasn’t about history for me.”

She and her partner, fellow American Elana Meyers, were in position to win gold through three of the four bobsled heats. They took a 0.11 second lead over Canada into the fourth leg, but ended up 0.21 seconds behind Kallie Humphries and Heather Moyse.

Williams (Miami class of 2004) took up bobsled a mere six months ago, attempting to add to her silver medal in the 100m track event at the 2004 Athens Olympics and her gold medal in the 4x100m relay at the 2012 London Olympics.

“I feel like I am in the presence of Jesse Owens when I look at Lauryn Williams,” said Lolo Jones, another American who started her career as a track runner before making a recent transition to bobsled.  “I was so emotionally choked up. She just broke history, and I can’t believe it. It’s just awesome. I hope she’s a household name when we get home, because it’s just the most brilliant thing I’ve ever watched.”

Had Williams won gold, she would have become the first woman in history to claim gold medals at the Summer and Winter Olympics. The only man to achieve the elusive feat was American Eddie Eagan, the 1920 gold medalist in boxing and 1932 four-man bobsled champion.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...