Small music festivals offer alternatives

Being the music-loving, concert junkie that I am, I always get overwhelmed as festival season approaches, because it means I have to consider cost, distance and of course, lineup.

These days, there are new festivals popping up all over the country, but which ones are worth the cost?

There are the notorious festivals like Ultra, Coachella and Bonnaroo that always pull the hottest artists and largest crowds. But as the demand for tickets steadily increases, so do the prices. Hence, newer and smaller festivals with decent lineups appear attractive to music lovers who don’t want to break the bank this season.

Let’s take Firefly, for example. Firefly is about to celebrate its third anniversary and has a similar feel to Bonnaroo. The general admission is cheaper than Bonnaroo’s, and the lineup holds its own, with headliners like the Foo Fighters, Outkast and Jack Johnson.

However, Bonnaroo’s general admission ticket includes camping and parking, a feature that is not included in the Firefly ticket. General camping costs approximately an extra $150 per camping space. When I attended Firefly last year, the camping venue was a hike away from the actual concert venue, an aspect that wasn’t ideal after long days of dancing and standing in the sun.

Also, smaller music festivals can be sketchy if you don’t do your research beforehand. Recall the UR1 fiasco? Thousands of ticket buyers expected a festival featuring Kanye, Lou Reed and Santigold, among others, but the festival was cancelled due to “strong winds.” Ticket buyers were promised the show would be rescheduled or they would be refunded. Neither has happened. Don’t let yourself get duped this festival season.

Consider the lineups. Are these bands going to be at other festivals this season? Jack Johnson and Outkast are the big names appearing at a variety of different venues this summer, so don’t push your budget on a big festival when you can see either act at smaller and cheaper ones.

Keep an open mind and try new festivals. Ultra is definitely an experience, but is it worth more than $500? Be sensible. We are fortunate to live in Miami, and a lot of the DJs that appear at Ultra play in different venues around this city for much cheaper outside of Ultra.

Do your research, don’t aimlessly buy tickets, and enjoy.

Jamie Servidio is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Jamie Servidio

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...