Small music festivals offer alternatives

Being the music-loving, concert junkie that I am, I always get overwhelmed as festival season approaches, because it means I have to consider cost, distance and of course, lineup.

These days, there are new festivals popping up all over the country, but which ones are worth the cost?

There are the notorious festivals like Ultra, Coachella and Bonnaroo that always pull the hottest artists and largest crowds. But as the demand for tickets steadily increases, so do the prices. Hence, newer and smaller festivals with decent lineups appear attractive to music lovers who don’t want to break the bank this season.

Let’s take Firefly, for example. Firefly is about to celebrate its third anniversary and has a similar feel to Bonnaroo. The general admission is cheaper than Bonnaroo’s, and the lineup holds its own, with headliners like the Foo Fighters, Outkast and Jack Johnson.

However, Bonnaroo’s general admission ticket includes camping and parking, a feature that is not included in the Firefly ticket. General camping costs approximately an extra $150 per camping space. When I attended Firefly last year, the camping venue was a hike away from the actual concert venue, an aspect that wasn’t ideal after long days of dancing and standing in the sun.

Also, smaller music festivals can be sketchy if you don’t do your research beforehand. Recall the UR1 fiasco? Thousands of ticket buyers expected a festival featuring Kanye, Lou Reed and Santigold, among others, but the festival was cancelled due to “strong winds.” Ticket buyers were promised the show would be rescheduled or they would be refunded. Neither has happened. Don’t let yourself get duped this festival season.

Consider the lineups. Are these bands going to be at other festivals this season? Jack Johnson and Outkast are the big names appearing at a variety of different venues this summer, so don’t push your budget on a big festival when you can see either act at smaller and cheaper ones.

Keep an open mind and try new festivals. Ultra is definitely an experience, but is it worth more than $500? Be sensible. We are fortunate to live in Miami, and a lot of the DJs that appear at Ultra play in different venues around this city for much cheaper outside of Ultra.

Do your research, don’t aimlessly buy tickets, and enjoy.

Jamie Servidio is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Jamie Servidio

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...