Profiles, Sports

Sassy Sweat a hit with girls seeking fun exercise

In a private room of the Herbert Wellness Center, women arrive in high-heeled wedges, trendy sweats with zippers and colorful, off-the-shoulder crop tops.

But they’re not there to make a fashion statement – they’re there to sweat.

Sassy Sweat is a free, new group exercise program at the wellness center for women only that drew 25 to 30 people at its recent inaugural class.

Its popularity may have something to do with the fact that Sassy Sweat is different from a typical fitness class.

“I was really excited that the wellness center was putting out a program that would be good for people who don’t necessarily like conventional ways of exercising,” freshman Allie Pakrosnis said.

The class is focused on burlesque and hip hop-inspired dance moves and the music played are today’s hits.

Also, it is strongly encouraged that girls show up in their most fashionable workout attire to make the class as fun and sexy as possible.

“The idea behind it was that there are a lot of programs out there right now for females that are really fun and a way to express the fun, flirty side of fitness,” said Nikki Reifschneider, creator of the program and a wellness center assistant director.

She says this type of dance is, “especially in Miami, really hot. So we wanted to provide something for our members.”

In the class, the instructor starts off teaching the girls different sexy moves. Later, the instructor shouts out the names of the moves to create a complete dance sequence that the class can follow along to.

It was important to program creators that there is no equipment involved and that it has an open and welcoming atmosphere.

“Sassy Sweat was different than a normal workout and was a unique way to break my routine,” freshman Ana Rodriguez said.

The class takes place in a private room so the women participating feel comfortable and safe to let loose and have a great time.

Sassy Sweat is designed for girls of all levels of fitness experience, who aren’t necessarily into fancy exercise machines or who may be a little scared of the gym.

The next class will be by announcement only and the class is open to all UM students and wellness center members.

“We want it to be as fun as possible and just a good time for everyone,” Reifschneider said.

If you go:

What: Sassy Sweat class

Where: Wellness Center

When: The next class has not yet been scheduled. The Sassy Sweat instructor will make the time available soon.

Who: Female students and wellness center members of all ages and fitness levels.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...