Profiles, Sports

Sassy Sweat a hit with girls seeking fun exercise

In a private room of the Herbert Wellness Center, women arrive in high-heeled wedges, trendy sweats with zippers and colorful, off-the-shoulder crop tops.

But they’re not there to make a fashion statement – they’re there to sweat.

Sassy Sweat is a free, new group exercise program at the wellness center for women only that drew 25 to 30 people at its recent inaugural class.

Its popularity may have something to do with the fact that Sassy Sweat is different from a typical fitness class.

“I was really excited that the wellness center was putting out a program that would be good for people who don’t necessarily like conventional ways of exercising,” freshman Allie Pakrosnis said.

The class is focused on burlesque and hip hop-inspired dance moves and the music played are today’s hits.

Also, it is strongly encouraged that girls show up in their most fashionable workout attire to make the class as fun and sexy as possible.

“The idea behind it was that there are a lot of programs out there right now for females that are really fun and a way to express the fun, flirty side of fitness,” said Nikki Reifschneider, creator of the program and a wellness center assistant director.

She says this type of dance is, “especially in Miami, really hot. So we wanted to provide something for our members.”

In the class, the instructor starts off teaching the girls different sexy moves. Later, the instructor shouts out the names of the moves to create a complete dance sequence that the class can follow along to.

It was important to program creators that there is no equipment involved and that it has an open and welcoming atmosphere.

“Sassy Sweat was different than a normal workout and was a unique way to break my routine,” freshman Ana Rodriguez said.

The class takes place in a private room so the women participating feel comfortable and safe to let loose and have a great time.

Sassy Sweat is designed for girls of all levels of fitness experience, who aren’t necessarily into fancy exercise machines or who may be a little scared of the gym.

The next class will be by announcement only and the class is open to all UM students and wellness center members.

“We want it to be as fun as possible and just a good time for everyone,” Reifschneider said.

If you go:

What: Sassy Sweat class

Where: Wellness Center

When: The next class has not yet been scheduled. The Sassy Sweat instructor will make the time available soon.

Who: Female students and wellness center members of all ages and fitness levels.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...