Profiles, Sports

Sassy Sweat a hit with girls seeking fun exercise

In a private room of the Herbert Wellness Center, women arrive in high-heeled wedges, trendy sweats with zippers and colorful, off-the-shoulder crop tops.

But they’re not there to make a fashion statement – they’re there to sweat.

Sassy Sweat is a free, new group exercise program at the wellness center for women only that drew 25 to 30 people at its recent inaugural class.

Its popularity may have something to do with the fact that Sassy Sweat is different from a typical fitness class.

“I was really excited that the wellness center was putting out a program that would be good for people who don’t necessarily like conventional ways of exercising,” freshman Allie Pakrosnis said.

The class is focused on burlesque and hip hop-inspired dance moves and the music played are today’s hits.

Also, it is strongly encouraged that girls show up in their most fashionable workout attire to make the class as fun and sexy as possible.

“The idea behind it was that there are a lot of programs out there right now for females that are really fun and a way to express the fun, flirty side of fitness,” said Nikki Reifschneider, creator of the program and a wellness center assistant director.

She says this type of dance is, “especially in Miami, really hot. So we wanted to provide something for our members.”

In the class, the instructor starts off teaching the girls different sexy moves. Later, the instructor shouts out the names of the moves to create a complete dance sequence that the class can follow along to.

It was important to program creators that there is no equipment involved and that it has an open and welcoming atmosphere.

“Sassy Sweat was different than a normal workout and was a unique way to break my routine,” freshman Ana Rodriguez said.

The class takes place in a private room so the women participating feel comfortable and safe to let loose and have a great time.

Sassy Sweat is designed for girls of all levels of fitness experience, who aren’t necessarily into fancy exercise machines or who may be a little scared of the gym.

The next class will be by announcement only and the class is open to all UM students and wellness center members.

“We want it to be as fun as possible and just a good time for everyone,” Reifschneider said.

If you go:

What: Sassy Sweat class

Where: Wellness Center

When: The next class has not yet been scheduled. The Sassy Sweat instructor will make the time available soon.

Who: Female students and wellness center members of all ages and fitness levels.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...