Profiles, Sports

Sassy Sweat a hit with girls seeking fun exercise

In a private room of the Herbert Wellness Center, women arrive in high-heeled wedges, trendy sweats with zippers and colorful, off-the-shoulder crop tops.

But they’re not there to make a fashion statement – they’re there to sweat.

Sassy Sweat is a free, new group exercise program at the wellness center for women only that drew 25 to 30 people at its recent inaugural class.

Its popularity may have something to do with the fact that Sassy Sweat is different from a typical fitness class.

“I was really excited that the wellness center was putting out a program that would be good for people who don’t necessarily like conventional ways of exercising,” freshman Allie Pakrosnis said.

The class is focused on burlesque and hip hop-inspired dance moves and the music played are today’s hits.

Also, it is strongly encouraged that girls show up in their most fashionable workout attire to make the class as fun and sexy as possible.

“The idea behind it was that there are a lot of programs out there right now for females that are really fun and a way to express the fun, flirty side of fitness,” said Nikki Reifschneider, creator of the program and a wellness center assistant director.

She says this type of dance is, “especially in Miami, really hot. So we wanted to provide something for our members.”

In the class, the instructor starts off teaching the girls different sexy moves. Later, the instructor shouts out the names of the moves to create a complete dance sequence that the class can follow along to.

It was important to program creators that there is no equipment involved and that it has an open and welcoming atmosphere.

“Sassy Sweat was different than a normal workout and was a unique way to break my routine,” freshman Ana Rodriguez said.

The class takes place in a private room so the women participating feel comfortable and safe to let loose and have a great time.

Sassy Sweat is designed for girls of all levels of fitness experience, who aren’t necessarily into fancy exercise machines or who may be a little scared of the gym.

The next class will be by announcement only and the class is open to all UM students and wellness center members.

“We want it to be as fun as possible and just a good time for everyone,” Reifschneider said.

If you go:

What: Sassy Sweat class

Where: Wellness Center

When: The next class has not yet been scheduled. The Sassy Sweat instructor will make the time available soon.

Who: Female students and wellness center members of all ages and fitness levels.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

New and returning students share some of their expectations for the semester on the first day of cla ...

Nearly 100 University of Miami students participated in Orientation Outreach to assist the staff at ...

Take a look back on new student orientation and browse through a gallery of photos from various even ...

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...