Facebook prevents authentic interaction

It is never too late for a new resolution. Like breaking any other habit, it may be difficult at first, but over time it is mind-liberating, time-granting and privacy-restoring.

Facebook emphasizes the consumerism in all of us, except, instead of promoting consumption for enrichment, it leads to the consumption of ourselves. We erode our own privacy, our own individuality, our own time.

After breaking up with Facebook three years ago, I don’t even miss it. My favorite part about meeting someone is seeing the eyes that pop and hearing the voices that ascend an octave: “You don’t have Facebook? What century do you live in?” But then the authenticity that ensues when we gradually grow a friendship is one built on moments and interactions that we can look back on and reference.

Facebook promises to serve as a facilitator, but instead threatens to become an obstacle. When you speak to an acquaintance, should you pretend not to know that “The Big Bang Theory” is her favorite movie TV show? Should you bother asking what sports he plays when you already know? Will you lose any interest in getting to know her because One Direction is her favorite band?

Questions and misunderstandings always arise when transposing online to reality and reality to online. But what if there was a way to avoid getting lost in this digital translation? Oh, but there is: a little button under settings called “deactivate your account.”

Don’t worry about losing connectivity with your friends. When you don’t have Facebook, the ambiguous acquaintance lines are erased, and you are left with the people who really care about you and want to get to know you. When it takes more effort to write an email, send a text or remember a birthday, the interchanges are boiled down to the worthwhile ones.

Luisa Andonie is a sophomore majoring in marketing.

Luisa Andonie

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...