Facebook prevents authentic interaction

It is never too late for a new resolution. Like breaking any other habit, it may be difficult at first, but over time it is mind-liberating, time-granting and privacy-restoring.

Facebook emphasizes the consumerism in all of us, except, instead of promoting consumption for enrichment, it leads to the consumption of ourselves. We erode our own privacy, our own individuality, our own time.

After breaking up with Facebook three years ago, I don’t even miss it. My favorite part about meeting someone is seeing the eyes that pop and hearing the voices that ascend an octave: “You don’t have Facebook? What century do you live in?” But then the authenticity that ensues when we gradually grow a friendship is one built on moments and interactions that we can look back on and reference.

Facebook promises to serve as a facilitator, but instead threatens to become an obstacle. When you speak to an acquaintance, should you pretend not to know that “The Big Bang Theory” is her favorite movie TV show? Should you bother asking what sports he plays when you already know? Will you lose any interest in getting to know her because One Direction is her favorite band?

Questions and misunderstandings always arise when transposing online to reality and reality to online. But what if there was a way to avoid getting lost in this digital translation? Oh, but there is: a little button under settings called “deactivate your account.”

Don’t worry about losing connectivity with your friends. When you don’t have Facebook, the ambiguous acquaintance lines are erased, and you are left with the people who really care about you and want to get to know you. When it takes more effort to write an email, send a text or remember a birthday, the interchanges are boiled down to the worthwhile ones.

Luisa Andonie is a sophomore majoring in marketing.

Luisa Andonie

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...