Baseball, Sports

Errors doom Miami against FAU Owls

Fielding is a huge problem so far for the Miami baseball team. The Canes have committed 12 errors in their first four games.

Four of those mishaps came during Wednesday night’s 5-2 loss to the Florida Atlantic Owls at Mark Light Field. Coach Jim Morris showed significant concern with the way his defense has kicked off the season.

“We’ve been playing good defense in practice, but we haven’t played [good defense in]these four games, and we gotta figure it out, you know, who’s gonna get it done defensively and make those plays,” he said. “That’s very, very important.”

The biggest error of the night came in the top of the seventh inning. After the Canes (2-2) cut the FAU lead to 1 in the bottom of the sixth, Miami freshman pitcher Cooper Hammond faced Owls centerfielder Billy Endris, 0-for-2 at that point. With two outs and a runner at second, Morris oddly elected to walk Endris.

The next batter, shortstop Stephen Kerr, hit an RBI double down the right field line. Catcher Garrett Kennedy then had Kerr in a game of pickle between second and third, but after nearly chasing Kerr back to second, Kennedy threw it away into the outfield, scoring Endris from third. Morris said it was a matter of righty versus righty in the seventh.

“Well, you know he’s hitting ninth for some reason, even though I know he’s been hot here for the first couple of games, and Cooper’s a sidewinder, a right hander that’s been very, very successful against right-handed hitters,” Morris said. “He has a lot more trouble with left-handed hitters than he does right-handers, like most sidewinders.”

Despite a .500 record, Miami’s pitching is racking up strikeouts; starter Javi Salas pitched six innings and struck out seven. Salas had a rough first inning, giving up a two-run homer to first baseman Ricky Santiago. An RBI single in the third by Tyler Rocklein put the Owls up 3-0.

The Miami lineup sputtered through the first five innings. FAU starter Brandon Rhodes had a one-hitter with two outs in the sixth. The top of the order, which has been Miami’s offensive mainstay one week into the season, came to life.

Dale Carey and red-hot leftfielder Tyler Palmer hit back-to-back doubles, cutting the lead to 3-1. David Thompson, who walks up to Katy Perry’s “Roar,” had the “eye of the tiger” as he ripped an RBI single into center, which scored Palmer. Zack Collins, hitless so far this season, reached on an error to load the bases.

The fans caught on to the rally as Brad Fieger stepped up with a chance to give the Canes a huge comeback lead, but it was not to be as he flew out to right. Miami put Carey up in the ninth with runners at the corners and two outs, but a swinging strikeout on three pitches ended the game.

Morris still shows a great deal of confidence in his team early on.

“We’ve been working hard, this team’s worked as hard as any team since I’ve been in Miami,” the veteran coach said. “We got a great attitude, and they’ve been working their butt off, so I can’t say we need to work harder, ‘cause we’re working as hard as we can.”

FAU moves to 3-1 with the win. The Owls have outscored Notre Dame and Miami 34-11 in their three wins this season. Miami takes on in-state rival Florida this weekend starting Friday night at 7 p.m. at the Light.

Morris was adamant that the team needs to worry about their play rather than the weekend.

“Well, you know I can’t worry about it being Florida. We gotta worry about us playing good, we can’t worry about who we’re playing, ‘cause it doesn’t matter who you’re playing if you don’t play good defense.”

Neil Dwyer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...