Transparency would improve SG

Flocks of students in pink and yellow shirts are a sign that it’s Student Government (SG) election season. These weeks in February are one of the few times that SG has a strong, visible presence on campus. But once election results are announced and the State of the U address has come and gone, this illusion of transparency fades away.

SG announced on Feb. 10 that it would change the way it communicates with students. In the past week, it has shared videos and photo stories about SG leaders, but the most valuable idea was an end-of-week recap on what all five branches of SG have accomplished. This is the first step in open communication between SG and students.

Still, social media should not be the extent of SG’s communication. If used improperly, it can be a crutch. The best way to let students know what SG is up to is for elected leaders to actively engage with student constituents – with the same kind of attention and reach that they have during election season.

SG should not feel the need to shy away from talking to student media for the sake of protecting their image. The point of these media outlets is to inform students of what is happening on campus. SG cannot complain about students being disinterested if they are not willing to talk about their work in an open manner.

As it stands, the lack of clear and continuous communication makes it seem like SG administrations are not effectively following through on the platforms on which they are elected. Students are in the dark, which perpetuates apathy.

SG has brought a handful of wide-reaching programs to campus, such as take-out and late night dining. But take a look at recent accomplishments of this SG administration: smoothies served in the dining halls and a school supply vending machine in Richter Library. What happened to the fifth year scholarship program we were promised during the election two years ago? Why is a shuttle to Dadeland still not operating regularly?

Communication helps students understand why expected projects have hit roadblocks. It could also put pressure on the university to move initiatives forward.

Transparency in SG comes from being a known and approachable face on campus; disseminating updates on social media, through the SG website, or in an email newsletter; and sharing information with student media rather than seeming scared of reporters.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...