Sports Briefs 2/17

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami traveled to Blacksburg, Va., with a chance to avenge an earlier loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies. Instead, the Canes struggled mightily on offense and fell 52-45 on Saturday.

Virginia Tech had lost 10 straight games prior to the win. Miami dropped to 12-13 overall, and 3-9 in ACC play.

The Canes shot 5-for-27 in the field during a brutal first half, and followed that up by missing 10 of their first 11 shots after halftime.

Miami next faces Notre Dame at home. Tipoff is at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

TRACK

Artie Burns led the way during a strong showing for Miami’s track and field program at the Don Kirby Elite Invitational in New Mexico this past weekend. Burns ran the 60m hurdle in 7.68 seconds, which ranks fourth nationally this year.

“Artie is just touching the surface of what he is capable of in the hurdles,” director Amy Deem said. “He is getting better each practice and it is showing in the meets.”

Shakima Wembley won the women’s 400m dash and set a new personal best (53.68 seconds).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes notched a big conference road win on Sunday, holding on to beat Florida State 76-73.

Miami had four players score in double figures, led by Keyona Hayes’ 21 points. Syracuse visits the BankUnited Center on Thursday for a 7 p.m. ACC matchup.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...