Sports Briefs 2/17

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami traveled to Blacksburg, Va., with a chance to avenge an earlier loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies. Instead, the Canes struggled mightily on offense and fell 52-45 on Saturday.

Virginia Tech had lost 10 straight games prior to the win. Miami dropped to 12-13 overall, and 3-9 in ACC play.

The Canes shot 5-for-27 in the field during a brutal first half, and followed that up by missing 10 of their first 11 shots after halftime.

Miami next faces Notre Dame at home. Tipoff is at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

TRACK

Artie Burns led the way during a strong showing for Miami’s track and field program at the Don Kirby Elite Invitational in New Mexico this past weekend. Burns ran the 60m hurdle in 7.68 seconds, which ranks fourth nationally this year.

“Artie is just touching the surface of what he is capable of in the hurdles,” director Amy Deem said. “He is getting better each practice and it is showing in the meets.”

Shakima Wembley won the women’s 400m dash and set a new personal best (53.68 seconds).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes notched a big conference road win on Sunday, holding on to beat Florida State 76-73.

Miami had four players score in double figures, led by Keyona Hayes’ 21 points. Syracuse visits the BankUnited Center on Thursday for a 7 p.m. ACC matchup.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...