Sports Briefs 2/17

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami traveled to Blacksburg, Va., with a chance to avenge an earlier loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies. Instead, the Canes struggled mightily on offense and fell 52-45 on Saturday.

Virginia Tech had lost 10 straight games prior to the win. Miami dropped to 12-13 overall, and 3-9 in ACC play.

The Canes shot 5-for-27 in the field during a brutal first half, and followed that up by missing 10 of their first 11 shots after halftime.

Miami next faces Notre Dame at home. Tipoff is at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

TRACK

Artie Burns led the way during a strong showing for Miami’s track and field program at the Don Kirby Elite Invitational in New Mexico this past weekend. Burns ran the 60m hurdle in 7.68 seconds, which ranks fourth nationally this year.

“Artie is just touching the surface of what he is capable of in the hurdles,” director Amy Deem said. “He is getting better each practice and it is showing in the meets.”

Shakima Wembley won the women’s 400m dash and set a new personal best (53.68 seconds).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes notched a big conference road win on Sunday, holding on to beat Florida State 76-73.

Miami had four players score in double figures, led by Keyona Hayes’ 21 points. Syracuse visits the BankUnited Center on Thursday for a 7 p.m. ACC matchup.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...