Sports Briefs 2/17

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami traveled to Blacksburg, Va., with a chance to avenge an earlier loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies. Instead, the Canes struggled mightily on offense and fell 52-45 on Saturday.

Virginia Tech had lost 10 straight games prior to the win. Miami dropped to 12-13 overall, and 3-9 in ACC play.

The Canes shot 5-for-27 in the field during a brutal first half, and followed that up by missing 10 of their first 11 shots after halftime.

Miami next faces Notre Dame at home. Tipoff is at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

TRACK

Artie Burns led the way during a strong showing for Miami’s track and field program at the Don Kirby Elite Invitational in New Mexico this past weekend. Burns ran the 60m hurdle in 7.68 seconds, which ranks fourth nationally this year.

“Artie is just touching the surface of what he is capable of in the hurdles,” director Amy Deem said. “He is getting better each practice and it is showing in the meets.”

Shakima Wembley won the women’s 400m dash and set a new personal best (53.68 seconds).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes notched a big conference road win on Sunday, holding on to beat Florida State 76-73.

Miami had four players score in double figures, led by Keyona Hayes’ 21 points. Syracuse visits the BankUnited Center on Thursday for a 7 p.m. ACC matchup.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

The Miami Hurricanes just wrapped up their spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, where th ...

Mark Richt, speaking publicly for the first time since retiring as the Miami Hurricanes’ coach, said ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

The No. 23 Miami Hurricanes dropped the series finale on Saturday at No. 8 Louisville, 9-6. ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...