Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Slogans denied; interest declines

SportsFest, the popular University of Miami competition where the university’s five residential colleges and commuter students face off, was plagued by declining interest this year.

The University Village took home the title for the first time when the games were held last weekend.

Freshman Maggie Dickey, who lives on the seventh floor of Stanford’s Walsh Tower, noticed a lack of commitment even though students were initially excited.

“On my floor, everyone is dropping out of the events they first signed up for,” she said during the competition.

The resident assistant on Dickey’s floor, Ryan Finkelstein, has identified a big change during her three years as an RA.

For one thing, she said, “faculty directors are not allowing certain things.”

Each floor functions as its own team, and typically students choose a team name or humorous mascot to distinguish themselves during SportsFest.

They wear T-shirts with their slogans throughout the games.

“The shirts are always raunchy and inappropriate, and it’s everyone’s favorite part,” Finkelstein said.

But this year, her floor submitted 10 possible SportsFest designs and only one was approved. Finkelstein said the types of T-shirts that were once approved by faculty directors were rejected for this year’s competition.

Students living on the eighth floor of Stanford-Walsh said none of their shirts got approval from Chris Hartnett, director of Residence Life.

One idea they submitted was “The Walsh 8 Potatoes – we’re better baked.” It was quickly denied.

Instead, the floor decided on T-shirts that read “WALSH 8, ALL OF OUR IDEAS GOT REJECTED.”

Freshman Holly French, the SportsFest captain for the ninth floor of Walsh Tower, said her team was far less excited to compete after being similarly turned down.

“We were really looking forward to being ‘The Walsh 9 Farmers – grab your ho and plant your seed,’” French said. “Now that we had to wear a shirt none of us really like or want to wear, SportsFest just does not seem as fun.”

Aside from the lack of coarse T-shirt slogans, there were changes made to the schedule of events.

“This year, we created a new section called Mind Games,” said senior Jaime Ceron, a three-year RA who served on a committee to determine the events played. “There’s rock, paper, scissors, Sudoku, and Connect 4. We also added more team sports and eliminated more individual games.”

The shift did not go over well with all participants.

“We had to beg someone to play rock, paper, scissors,” freshman Lizzie Horn said last weekend. “When we first heard about SportsFest, everyone was pumped. Now that it is actually here, it’s a different story.”

Aislinn McManus

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...