Morality should guide decisions

Nearly everyone has thought about morality before; from infancy, the concepts of “right” and “wrong” are hammered into us by our parents and society. However, most of us only have a very fuzzy sense of what these concepts actually mean.

We know that things like lying and stealing are wrong, but why? I don’t claim to answer this question here. However, I would like to draw attention to the importance of this question by proposing some alternative solutions.

Utilitarianism has a simple and intuitive premise: actions are good if they result in a net increase in happiness and are bad if they result in a net decrease in happiness. This is notable because it pins the morality of an action on its consequences. For example, lying can either be good or bad; it depends on if it happens to increase happiness in those specific circumstances.

To most people, myself included, judging morality based on consequences seems to make sense. However, sometimes utilitarianism yields counter-intuitive results. For example, imagine someone who gets pleasure from someone else’s pain. If the pleasure outweighed the pain, then this action is morally “good”. Utilitarianism runs into similar problems with victimless crimes. If someone were to cheat off of your test in class, they would not be decreasing your happiness. If anything, they would be increasing their own. Utilitarianism leaves no room to condemn apparently “wrong” things like these.

Kant tried to solve some of the problems found in Utilitarianism by placing more of an emphasis on an action’s intentions than its consequences. Kant proposed a tool for determining the morality of an action called the “categorical imperative.” One should only perform an action if they would also will that everyone would perform that action in similar circumstances. For example, one should never break a promise because no one would want to live in a world where no one keeps promises. However, morality should actually be useful in determining the correct course of human action, and the categorical imperative is nearly impossible to use in a practical situation.

Naturally, philosophical consistency doesn’t matter to the average person. However, a systematic approach to morality is important because it allows us to examine difficult moral situations in a way that lets us arrive at definite answers. We may not have those answers now, but if morality were an easy nut to crack, then philosophy wouldn’t have lasted more than two millenia. How we live our lives has profound consequences, and each of us should use moral philosophy as a means to be the best we can be.

Joshua Myers is a freshman majoring in philosophy.

Joshua Myers

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...