Basketball, Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Indoor courts open after restoration

The Wellness Center’s indoor basketball facility has been reopened, and the usual crowds have returned to the courts after a brief hiatus.

Last month, the gym closed down the courts for a weeklong restoration.  So many students were playing basketball that the wood courts were getting worn down.

The courts underwent a resurfacing in order to keep them in optimal condition, said Norm Parsons, director of the Wellness Center.

“The 18-year-old courts take a constant beating from students and faculty,” Parsons said.

He explained that the restoration will help keep them in good condition for the constant foot traffic.

“The courts were resurfaced due to overuse,’’ Parsons said. “It has to be done in order to keep the courts in playable condition.”

The courts were first sanded and other minimal fixes were made before a new wax was reapplied.

More severe wear and tear would have necessitated sanding the courts down to a bare minimum to remove the lines before applying a coat of polyurethane.

“Luckily for us, we only needed the first type,” Parsons said.

The indoor courts were becoming rundown and students were starting to feel it, with traction on the courts becoming an issue.

More and more players were losing their footing while trying to compete.

The wellness center is an 1,800 square-foot gymnasium with basketball courts on the upper level. Three courts – each 75 feet long by 50 feet wide – lay side by side.  On average, 3,500 to 4,000 people attend and use the facilities every day, Parsons said.

During the time when the courts were closed, basketball enthusiasts were forced to play elsewhere.

Many went to the outdoor courts, but players say they prefer to stay inside because of the heat outside on the asphalt courts. The outdoor courts also became crowded, discouraging some from playing.

Jake Hakanson

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...