Community, News

Fellowship experience connects students to local government

Recent University of Miami alumna Adaeze Ajoku, a math and anthropology major,  never dreamed she’d get the chance to work with a local government while studying in school. But thanks to a UM program, Ajoku was able to intern with the city of Coral Gables.

Since 2011, the University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement has been offering a paid internship with the city called the Gables Fellow Program. It was designed for undergraduate students who are interested in public service, government, architecture, arts and culture, nonprofit management and economic development.

“I definitely want to go into local government or work with a nonprofit after the Gables Fellows experience,” said Ajoku, who interned last spring before graduating. “The fellowship has helped me to solidify my career plans. I learned more about municipal government during the internship, and I gained a better understanding and have more of an appreciation for the city of Coral Gables.”

The program started because of UM’s working relationship with Coral Gables to create a link between students and the city where UM is located. Those who are chosen get to rotate through several city departments such as procurement, Coral Gables Television, historic preservation and more.

“Students have really enjoyed working with the city of Coral Gables and learning about the opportunities that the municipal government presents,” said Ashley Arostegui, associate director of the Office of Civic and Community Engagement. “It’s a way to put in practice what they’re studying, a hands-on project.”

The office accepts applications during the spring semester, and then two students are chosen for the next academic year, one for each semester. The program does not offer academic credit.

This semester’s intern, senior Lilia Hoberman, says she loves being a Gables Fellow.

“Being implemented into a department of my choosing has been a great way to see how municipal government really works first-hand,” she said.

The office encourages sophomores and upperclassmen to apply. The Coral Gables staff will bring the top candidates in for interviews and then select the two interns for the 2014-15 school year. For fall 2014 and spring 2015, students need to apply via e-mail to civicengagement@miami.edu by the March 3 deadline.

The pay rate and work schedule will be determined once the interview process is complete. For more information, contact Crystal Godina in the Office of Civic and Community Engagement at cgodina@miami.edu.

Applicants must attach a completed copy of the application. They also need to attach files for a one-page resume, current academic transcript and a 500-word statement that describes the student’s background in leadership and community development, how the internship will enhance the undergraduate experience at UM and how it will help advance future career goals.

Fr more information:

The deadline is March 3.

The application must be emailed to civicengagement@miami.edu.

To download the application, visit miami.edu/index.php/civic.

Kenia Vasallo

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...