News, Profiles

Entrepreneur manages start-up real estate office

Sophomore Kyle Ditto manages not just his classwork, but a newly opened real estate office as well.

Ditto runs Flatbook Miami, a real estate services company based in Montreal. Ditto convinced Flatbook co-founder Francis Davidson to open an office in Miami earlier this year. The company helps leaseholders rent out their apartment to travelers who prefer the advantage of an apartment rather than a hotel.

Davidson and his partners Lucas Pellan and Olivier Gareau were initially hesitant to open the Miami branch.

“We decided last minute we didn’t want to go because of lower occupancy rates over the summer [in Miami],” Davidson said. “Kyle had applied for the position and convinced us that the model could work out in Miami.”

Kyle hooked the founders by arguing for Miami’s booming tourism industry.

“I told them I was the man for the job, especially because Miami’s tourism never dies,” he said.

Ditto, who has been the manager since January, takes applications, looks at potential apartments and negotiates with landlords before putting the apartment up for sublease.

An interior designer and photographer also work with Ditto to assist in finding potential renters for the apartment during the sublease period.

“Once the students are off at home and on vacation, we start renting the apartments out to short-term tourists,” Ditto said. “Since it’s shorter term, we can charge a price per night, and because of that we can afford to pay the student’s rent and make a profit.”

While looking for leaseholders, Ditto promotes Flatbook on campus, reaching out to the Office of Housing and Residential Life. He has contacted the off-campus housing department to integrate Flatbook into its system.

“I’m hoping to use that channel to make it more school-approved,” he said. “It’s just a whole mixture of [public relations]and marketing. The actual managing hasn’t come yet.”

Flatbook Miami is taking applications until April 1 from leaseholders to sublease their apartments over the summer. They provide insurance, storage, cleaning and rent negotiation for the leaseholder at no cost.

“In reality, there’s really nothing to lose and a lot to gain with Flatbook,” Ditto said.

Ditto also does not lose any time between school and work. He merged his student and manager lives together by “keeping a good schedule” and “writing everything down.”

“I wanted to join Flatbook because I’m really interested in entrepreneurship and start-ups,” he said.

Since its establishment in 2012, Flatbook has expanded to cities such as Toronto, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Munich.

“All the sudden, they got super ambitious and wanted to expand all over North America and Europe,” Ditto said. “They found out I was studying in Miami, and they got in touch with me.”

Megan McCrink

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...