Ways single life grants a fun time

You may have noticed the copious amounts of red-packaged candy on sale at Publix, or seen an ad for the annual fraternity singing valentines, or fought your way through swarms of heart-shaped balloons in CVS, and realized that can only mean one thing. Valentine’s Day is coming. You might be excited, because it’s a chance to spend time with your significant other or connect with a crush.

Or you might be single and dreading the holiday altogether.

It’s easy to feel left out on Valentine’s Day if you’re single, but couples aren’t the only ones who can have fun on the fourteenth. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s list of great activities for singles to try out this V-Day

Enjoy the sales

Since many stores have Valentine’s Day sales, take the day to do some shopping. Money can’t buy love, but shopping can make you feel pretty awesome in the meantime. When you’re done at the mall, satisfy your sweet tooth with the sales on candy and sweets. If couples are buying each other chocolate-covered strawberries, who’s to say you can’t do the same?

Try out some fun “date” activities

Just because you’re flying solo doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a day out. Take advantage of Miami’s location and gorgeous weather and hit the beach. Or go to an art museum, like the Perez, which just opened up downtown. This can actually be more fun solo or with artsy friends, because you can spend time on what you’re interested in without trying to impress someone. For a fresh nature feel, check out a local zoo or aquarium – because animals need love, too.

Keep things festive and sweet

To really make the day seem like a holiday, hit the kitchen and whip up some sweet treats. Baking is a fantastic way to break out of a usual routine and get your creativity flowing. Of course, eating your masterpiece will only contribute to the feeling of celebration.

Plan an event with friends

Nobody said that singles have to be lonely. Round up some buddies and go out to dinner, head to the bowling alley, or stay in and watch movies. You can even throw an anti-Valentine’s Day party. Without hating on the couples enjoying the holiday, celebrate your independence with other singles and dance the night away. Spending time with friends is a great way to unwind and celebrate without feeling any romantic pressure.

Focus on yourself

Release some good-feeling endorphins by getting some exercise. Attend a fitness class, go for a run, do yoga, lift,  or do whatever fits your fancy. Or have a spa day and pamper yourself. Get mani-pedis, give yourself a facial, break out the cucumber slices or do whatever else makes you feel refreshed. Worry about only what makes you feel good.

Family first

Remember the ones who love you more than anyone, and take the time to Skype or call your family. With everyone’s busy schedules, who knows when you’ll have the chance to do so again?

Amanda Wood

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...