Sports briefs 2/13

Women’s golf

The Miami women’s golf team had a successful showing at the UCF Challenge, placing third behind two top-25 teams.

The Canes, currently ranked No. 33 in the nation, wrapped up play on Tuesday with their fourth top-three finish of the season.

“The pin placement was tougher, the winds picked up, but we held our ground,” coach Patti Rizzo said. “We didn’t play great, but we didn’t play terrible either. Third place is not bad out of 19 teams.”

Two of Miami’s golfers shot under par for the tournament – Leticia Ras-Anderica and Daniela Darquea each posted 2-under (214) combined scores. Overall, the Hurricanes shot even par (864), which trailed only No. 24 UCF (7-under 857) and No. 22 Iowa State (6-under 858) in the team standings.

Miami will host its annual invitational March 3-5 at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Hall of fame

The College Baseball Foundation announced Tuesday that two former Hurricanes were selected as part of the 2014 Hall of Fame class.

Pitcher Alex Fernandez and slugger Mike Fiore will join five other inductees to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame in June. Fernandez was a first-team All-American as a freshman in 1989, a stellar season that included a no hitter. He played professionally for the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins.

Fiore was an integral part of the Canes’ run to the 1985 College World Series title. He was a starter for four years at Miami and went on to play for team USA, where he won a gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

“I think it’s a great thing not only for Mike and Alex, but for our program as well,” Hurricanes coach Jim Morris said. “It shows a respect for what Miami has accomplished for many, many years, and I’m very happy for both guys.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com 

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...