Sports briefs 2/13

Women’s golf

The Miami women’s golf team had a successful showing at the UCF Challenge, placing third behind two top-25 teams.

The Canes, currently ranked No. 33 in the nation, wrapped up play on Tuesday with their fourth top-three finish of the season.

“The pin placement was tougher, the winds picked up, but we held our ground,” coach Patti Rizzo said. “We didn’t play great, but we didn’t play terrible either. Third place is not bad out of 19 teams.”

Two of Miami’s golfers shot under par for the tournament – Leticia Ras-Anderica and Daniela Darquea each posted 2-under (214) combined scores. Overall, the Hurricanes shot even par (864), which trailed only No. 24 UCF (7-under 857) and No. 22 Iowa State (6-under 858) in the team standings.

Miami will host its annual invitational March 3-5 at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Hall of fame

The College Baseball Foundation announced Tuesday that two former Hurricanes were selected as part of the 2014 Hall of Fame class.

Pitcher Alex Fernandez and slugger Mike Fiore will join five other inductees to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame in June. Fernandez was a first-team All-American as a freshman in 1989, a stellar season that included a no hitter. He played professionally for the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins.

Fiore was an integral part of the Canes’ run to the 1985 College World Series title. He was a starter for four years at Miami and went on to play for team USA, where he won a gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

“I think it’s a great thing not only for Mike and Alex, but for our program as well,” Hurricanes coach Jim Morris said. “It shows a respect for what Miami has accomplished for many, many years, and I’m very happy for both guys.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com 

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...