Sports briefs 2/13

Women’s golf

The Miami women’s golf team had a successful showing at the UCF Challenge, placing third behind two top-25 teams.

The Canes, currently ranked No. 33 in the nation, wrapped up play on Tuesday with their fourth top-three finish of the season.

“The pin placement was tougher, the winds picked up, but we held our ground,” coach Patti Rizzo said. “We didn’t play great, but we didn’t play terrible either. Third place is not bad out of 19 teams.”

Two of Miami’s golfers shot under par for the tournament – Leticia Ras-Anderica and Daniela Darquea each posted 2-under (214) combined scores. Overall, the Hurricanes shot even par (864), which trailed only No. 24 UCF (7-under 857) and No. 22 Iowa State (6-under 858) in the team standings.

Miami will host its annual invitational March 3-5 at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Hall of fame

The College Baseball Foundation announced Tuesday that two former Hurricanes were selected as part of the 2014 Hall of Fame class.

Pitcher Alex Fernandez and slugger Mike Fiore will join five other inductees to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame in June. Fernandez was a first-team All-American as a freshman in 1989, a stellar season that included a no hitter. He played professionally for the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins.

Fiore was an integral part of the Canes’ run to the 1985 College World Series title. He was a starter for four years at Miami and went on to play for team USA, where he won a gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

“I think it’s a great thing not only for Mike and Alex, but for our program as well,” Hurricanes coach Jim Morris said. “It shows a respect for what Miami has accomplished for many, many years, and I’m very happy for both guys.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com 

Spencer Dandes

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...