Opinion, Speak Up

Speak Ups 2/13

Kevin Vikander, freshman

“I guess it’s a day where it’s more socially acceptable to say how you feel about someone else. You’re happy for everyone around campus who’s with someone, and you’re happy just for yourself.”

Gustavo Martinez, senior

“Valentine’s Day is a day to, first of all, remember the ones we love, not only a loved one like a relationship with someone but also family and just a day to show that love you feel for everybody.”

Krystina Scott, sophomore

“A day of celebrating the strong relationship between you and loved ones. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a boyfriend or girlfriend. Most times it is, but if you’re single, you can celebrate the love between your friends, like have a girls’ night out.”

Jaimie McPhedran, freshman

“It means having a really good night with people I care about a lot, even if it’s not a boyfriend.”

Ambika Rautray, sophomore

“I don’t really believe in love. For me, Valentine’s Day isn’t the typical boyfriend, girlfriend holiday. I love my family, so my valentine is usually my mom, and she’ll mail me something.”

Tyler Goodman, senior

“I think it’s a commercial holiday, but at its core, when it’s used for good, it’s an opportunity to show your affection.”

Jasmine Holmes, senior

“For me, it’s not going to be relevant until I’m married. … But it’s a cool time for couples to enjoy with purity.”

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...