Opinion, Speak Up

Speak Ups 2/13

Kevin Vikander, freshman

“I guess it’s a day where it’s more socially acceptable to say how you feel about someone else. You’re happy for everyone around campus who’s with someone, and you’re happy just for yourself.”

Gustavo Martinez, senior

“Valentine’s Day is a day to, first of all, remember the ones we love, not only a loved one like a relationship with someone but also family and just a day to show that love you feel for everybody.”

Krystina Scott, sophomore

“A day of celebrating the strong relationship between you and loved ones. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a boyfriend or girlfriend. Most times it is, but if you’re single, you can celebrate the love between your friends, like have a girls’ night out.”

Jaimie McPhedran, freshman

“It means having a really good night with people I care about a lot, even if it’s not a boyfriend.”

Ambika Rautray, sophomore

“I don’t really believe in love. For me, Valentine’s Day isn’t the typical boyfriend, girlfriend holiday. I love my family, so my valentine is usually my mom, and she’ll mail me something.”

Tyler Goodman, senior

“I think it’s a commercial holiday, but at its core, when it’s used for good, it’s an opportunity to show your affection.”

Jasmine Holmes, senior

“For me, it’s not going to be relevant until I’m married. … But it’s a cool time for couples to enjoy with purity.”

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...