Speak Ups 2/13

Kevin Vikander, freshman

“I guess it’s a day where it’s more socially acceptable to say how you feel about someone else. You’re happy for everyone around campus who’s with someone, and you’re happy just for yourself.”

Gustavo Martinez, senior

“Valentine’s Day is a day to, first of all, remember the ones we love, not only a loved one like a relationship with someone but also family and just a day to show that love you feel for everybody.”

Krystina Scott, sophomore

“A day of celebrating the strong relationship between you and loved ones. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a boyfriend or girlfriend. Most times it is, but if you’re single, you can celebrate the love between your friends, like have a girls’ night out.”

Jaimie McPhedran, freshman

“It means having a really good night with people I care about a lot, even if it’s not a boyfriend.”

Ambika Rautray, sophomore

“I don’t really believe in love. For me, Valentine’s Day isn’t the typical boyfriend, girlfriend holiday. I love my family, so my valentine is usually my mom, and she’ll mail me something.”

Tyler Goodman, senior

“I think it’s a commercial holiday, but at its core, when it’s used for good, it’s an opportunity to show your affection.”

Jasmine Holmes, senior

“For me, it’s not going to be relevant until I’m married. … But it’s a cool time for couples to enjoy with purity.”

Previous articleDear V: Does real world mean heartbreak …
Next articleSingles should save the anger, spread the love
Ashley Martinez
Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.