Singles should save the anger, spread the love

Valentine’s Day has gained a negative reputation among the single population. I hear the same complaints every year; it’s a “Hallmark Holiday,” or a day for couples to brag about being happy. Many have even dubbed the holiday as “Singles’ Awareness Day.”

This last attitude toward Valentine’s Day is the most telling. It insinuates that being single on the day of love is some sort of failure and hints at discontentment about being alone. This attitude needs to change.

College students are in a transitional time of life. There is nothing wrong with being single at this age or, for that matter, with being in a relationship. There is no “right” stage that everyone should be in.

With that in mind, let’s stop shaming couples that are happy with their romantic lives. There’s nothing quite like a jealous friend to ruin your Valentine’s Day buzz. Lashing out at the couples on Valentine’s Day won’t make anyone less single, and it can hurt people in the process.

Lovers aren’t looking down on singles with pity; they’re simply trying to enjoy the day together. Instead of putting those couples down, let’s collectively decide to be happy for them. Relationships are work, after all, and they deserve a day to celebrate what they have accomplished.

If you’re truly unhappy about being single on Valentine’s Day, think of it as a chance to re-evaluate your romantic situation. Without being negative and self-critical, consider how your choices have contributed to your single status. Is there something you can change to set yourself up to meet new people? Is it just bad luck?

After some self-reflection, make Valentine’s Day resolutions for the year. Set goals for yourself, whether it is to ask someone out on a date or just to become friendlier with the gender to which you’re attracted. Like anything else, make these goals realistic and attainable, that way you can feel good about putting in effort to achieve your goal.

Finally, be sure to enjoy the holiday. Spend time with friends, watch your favorite movies, or have a “me” day and treat yourself to whatever makes you feel good. Resolve to be a happy single this Valentine’s Day.

Amanda Wood is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and policy.

***For more ideas: Check out The Miami Hurricane’s suggestions in Edge.***

Amanda Wood

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...