V's Take

Dear V: Does real world mean heartbreak …

V,

I’ve been in a relationship for about a year now. We met when we were juniors and hit it off right away. The problem is, we have very different plans for when we graduate in May. I want to go to law school in Chicago and he wants to move to Seattle for a job. I’m scared we won’t be able to make it work, and I don’t know if I should even try having a long distance relationship with him. I love him a lot and we’re great together, but I just don’t know. What do I do?

Going the distance

Dear Drew Barrymore,

This is the classic tale of boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, and then boy and girl have very different life plans. It happens. For four years we’re in this little bubble of fraternity parties, late-night library stints and bar crawls, and we think that’s what real life is about … until we graduate and realize that our day-to-day schedules are concrete, and skipping class “just because” isn’t an option.

On the one hand, it’s good that the two of you have lofty life goals. At the very least, you know you won’t end up living under a bridge somewhere, so that’s good.

If you’re asking me, I say that long distance relationships seldom work out. But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth trying to work out. At the risk of sounding like a self-help book, I’m gonna say this: If the relationship is good, then try and make it work. It’s going to be tough and you’re going to have to work through difficult things, but just stick through it. Granted, you’ll have to endure some awkward phone sex conversations and figure out if naked Skyping is really your thing.

At the end of the day, Justin Long will always be there to get you surprise tickets to your favorite indie band.

Advice Columnist

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...