“The Lego Movie” entertains audiences of all ages

Despite what you may think, “The Lego Movie” is more for adults than it is for kids. In fact, it parodies films we associate with our childhood, like “Star Wars” and “Lord of the Rings.”

Instead of following the classic hero’s journey, it manipulates that formula by twisting it into a non-hero journey. Emmet is the average Lego construction worker, happy to follow instructions and build skyscrapers in Lord Business’ segregated Lego Universe. But the hippie wizard voiced by Morgan Freeman foretells a prophecy that says Emmet is “the special” to save their world. Note that even the name mocks Anakin’s “the chosen one” in “Star Wars.

The film tackles complex subjects like commercialism, communism and personal identity. But these social commentaries only work because the delivery is genuinely and endearingly hilarious.

Clearly, it is in the little things that the makers had fun breaking the rules. When two Legos fall off a cliff, the fall pauses – allowing them to casually share a full-length conversation mid-fall. Word puns and mispronunciations of “real world” words make up the complex wit that escapes younger audiences.

But what both young and old can relate to is the timeless intrigue of the Lego blocks. Visually, it is whole and true like no other CGI film ever felt before. Recent digitally animated movies risk falling into the “uncanny valley,” a theory stating that too real virtual graphics make audiences uncomfortable .

“The Lego Movie” completely bypasses this risk because it can never look too real. In fact, it aims for a realistic stop-motion look. The fingerprints and residue on the Lego pieces make you forget that the creators did not make this with photographs and repositioning of the figurines. Even the slight jerkiness of the frames imitates stop-motion. Especially in 3D, it tugs at your tactile sense, reminding you how fun it is to interlock the pieces.

With its absurdly original deconstructions of expectations,”The Lego Movie” surprises, provoking giggles while simultaneously displaying depth of thought. It extracts a heartfelt morale that relies on the parody of our present culture to avoid becoming preachy. As if by accident, the movie has the power to inspire future engineers, “masterbuilders” and believers.

If you go:

Now playing in theaters.

Luisa Andonie

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...