News Briefs 2/10

Valentine Cards

UGenerations will be sponsoring a tabling event where students will have the chance to make Valentine’s Day cards for their grandparents from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday in the UC Breezeway.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus at 7 p.m. on Tuesday to speak about his latest book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.” In this work, Gladwell looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression. This is a Books and Books event and will take place in the UM Student Activities Center third floor ballrooms.

Taxes

The IRS and the Free File Alliance, a coalition of industry-leading tax software companies, launched the 2014 Free File program. This allows every taxpayer who has an average income of less than $58,000 can visit irs.gov/freefile to complete their federal tax returns for free. For more information on the Free File program, visit freefilealliance.org.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Friday. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Cooking Class

“A Love Affair with Sweets Cooking Class” will take place from 6:30 -8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11 in the Wellness Center. The menu will include chocolate silk tartlet, red heart chocolate-covered oreos, and dulce de lèche crêpes. The cost of the class, which includes cooking instruction, food tasting, and recipes is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members; $25 for non-members.

Soccer League

The deadline to register for the intramural indoor soccer league for the spring semester is Tuesday, Feb. 11. A $40 refundable deposit is due at the time of the registration, in room 210 of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...