News Briefs 2/10

Valentine Cards

UGenerations will be sponsoring a tabling event where students will have the chance to make Valentine’s Day cards for their grandparents from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday in the UC Breezeway.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus at 7 p.m. on Tuesday to speak about his latest book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.” In this work, Gladwell looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression. This is a Books and Books event and will take place in the UM Student Activities Center third floor ballrooms.

Taxes

The IRS and the Free File Alliance, a coalition of industry-leading tax software companies, launched the 2014 Free File program. This allows every taxpayer who has an average income of less than $58,000 can visit irs.gov/freefile to complete their federal tax returns for free. For more information on the Free File program, visit freefilealliance.org.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Friday. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Cooking Class

“A Love Affair with Sweets Cooking Class” will take place from 6:30 -8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11 in the Wellness Center. The menu will include chocolate silk tartlet, red heart chocolate-covered oreos, and dulce de lèche crêpes. The cost of the class, which includes cooking instruction, food tasting, and recipes is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members; $25 for non-members.

Soccer League

The deadline to register for the intramural indoor soccer league for the spring semester is Tuesday, Feb. 11. A $40 refundable deposit is due at the time of the registration, in room 210 of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...