News Briefs 2/10

Valentine Cards

UGenerations will be sponsoring a tabling event where students will have the chance to make Valentine’s Day cards for their grandparents from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday in the UC Breezeway.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus at 7 p.m. on Tuesday to speak about his latest book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.” In this work, Gladwell looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression. This is a Books and Books event and will take place in the UM Student Activities Center third floor ballrooms.

Taxes

The IRS and the Free File Alliance, a coalition of industry-leading tax software companies, launched the 2014 Free File program. This allows every taxpayer who has an average income of less than $58,000 can visit irs.gov/freefile to complete their federal tax returns for free. For more information on the Free File program, visit freefilealliance.org.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Friday. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Cooking Class

“A Love Affair with Sweets Cooking Class” will take place from 6:30 -8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11 in the Wellness Center. The menu will include chocolate silk tartlet, red heart chocolate-covered oreos, and dulce de lèche crêpes. The cost of the class, which includes cooking instruction, food tasting, and recipes is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members; $25 for non-members.

Soccer League

The deadline to register for the intramural indoor soccer league for the spring semester is Tuesday, Feb. 11. A $40 refundable deposit is due at the time of the registration, in room 210 of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...