News, Obituaries

Acclaimed writer, faculty member dies at 85

Lester Goran, founder of the University of Miami’s Creative Writing Program, passed away Thursday. He was 85 years old.

Goran started his tenure in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1960. He developed the first creative writing curriculum in 1965. He also helped establish the Masters in Fine Arts program in 1991.

According to a report in The Miami Herald, Goran died at Baptist Hospital in Kendall. The cause of death is not known.

Goran wrote 14 novels, a memoir and three short story collections in his 50-year-long writing career.  Throughout his time at UM, he taught more than 20,000 students.

Many of his works are set in his hometown Pittsburgh, Pa., growing up in government housing. He joined the Army at 16 after World War II, and became a corporal. Through the GI Bill, he attended the University of Pittsburgh. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees there.

Evelina Galang, director of the Creative Writing Program, considered Goran an inspiration to many writers.

“He was a bright light who made the University of Miami’s Creative Writing Program what it is today,” Galang said in a press release prepared by the College of Arts and Sciences.

Goran is survived by his wife Edythe and their three sons John, Robert and William.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...