Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“In the House” violates the boundaries of academia

In the House – France – Netflix Instant streaming

Far from the cliché teacher-student movie, “In the House” violates the boundaries of academia, thus overcoming the norms of plot execution.

A literature professor, frustrated with the lack of interest in his class, pays special attention to one gifted student, Claude, when he writes a satirical piece on a classmate’s family. While first wary of the consequences that may arise, the professor quickly falls under the intrigue of Claude’s deft observational and writing skills.

Like the manipulative student’s writing, the film attains its power with its provocative insinuations. Clipping at a gluttonous pace guided by the student’s sleek narration, the film finds its audience as attentive and concerned as the professor who created the monster. The pace pauses only on the brink to let the dangerous imagination take over.

The intellectual sophistication of the setting and delivery, however, cleverly counterbalances any repulsion the student inspires. Not only is Claude’s narration delightfully eloquent and descriptive, but also it continually evolves to incorporate the professor’s critiques, making the entire affair a learning experience.

Like a short story, every element in the movie serves a purpose, creating elliptical references. The mentions of classic French literature works, such as Flaubert’s Madame Bovary, return as allusions when they are reflected in both the film’s plot and tone.

When advising his student in developing the ending to the writing assignment, the professor explains that an ending should be two things simultaneously: it should be unpredictable, but it should also make you think that there was no other way for the story to end.

Erasing lines between should and should not, between reality and fiction, the film piques interest in a daring and risky way.

Luisa Andonie

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...