News, Religious Life

Traveling missionaries discuss sex, religion at UCatholic event

UCatholic brought two seemingly different subjects together Wednesday night: sex and God.

The student organization hosted a discussion led by Stephanie Brown and Dominic Li, two missionaries from Generation Life, a non-profit religious organization.

The discussion was titled “God Loves Sex,” which explored the philosophy of sex within a religious context. Topics included the status of sex in today’s culture and the doctrine of religion with respect to the purpose of sex.

Li confronted the issue of the taboo that surrounds sex life, especially under the religious umbrella. He said the goal of the discussion was to be more open about being comfortable with sexuality by “unpacking what sex means”.

Brown talked about the advantages of sharing stories, which demonstrate “how culture presents sex and how that has influenced our own view growing up and how that perspective has changed through faith.”

According to junior John Buonocore, the event was unique because it offered a different perspective that is not commonly considered on campus.

The event focused on a Christian outlook, but members of UCatholic, including sophomore Renee Reneau, believe students from all backgrounds could gain something from attending open dialogues about culture and religion.

“It is good to hear the opinions out there, whether you agree with it or not, it still exists,” Reneau said.

Mateo Alvarez

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...