Blogs, Focus on Fitness

Focus on Fitness: Farmers Markets in the 305

Eating fresh and local doesn’t have to break the bank or take you outside of your zip code. Here are five Miami-Dade farmers’ markets that are definitely worth a visit.

1. Miami Beach Botanical Garden Market

From Jan. 8 through April 16, visitors to the Miami Beach Botanical Garden can find a wealth of local produce and artisan treats at the weekly Garden Market. Open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Wednesday, rain or shine, the market offers fresh bread from local merchant Zak the Baker and greens straight from the Little Haiti Community Garden, among other vendors. Since its founding in 2013, the market aims to “support local farmers and crafters” and to keep “more money and jobs in Miami,” according to the market’s website.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.21.57 AM

From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Garden Market hosts a plant sale and orchid exchange. Orchid owners can trade in their current plant for a $5 coupon to purchase a new bloom. The exchange offers and accepts all varieties of orchid and also sells palms, bromeliads and other tropical plants.

The market also offers lunchtime yoga sessions from Terra-Nova. Yogis of all experience levels are invited to attend these relaxing and invigorating classes from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. for a suggested donation of $5 for members, $10 for non-members.

For more information, visit mbgarden.org.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! – 2000 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139

2. Farmer’s Market at Miami Children’s Hospital

Founded in 2013, the Coral Terrace Farmers’ Market is the weekly home to 30 vendors, every Wednesday year-round from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Shoppers can find a bountiful selection from organic produce and tea, fresh-made pasta and guacamole, to artisan soaps and candles. The market can be found at Miami Children’s Hospital in the courtyard between the emergency room and ambulatory care.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.25.32 AMFor more information, follow the market and it’s sister locations on Facebook at facebook.com/FloridaFreshMarket.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! 3100 SW 62nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33155

3. Coral Gables Farmer’s Market

Each January, the heart of the Gables reawakens it’s locally-grown fresh market. Founded in 1991, this Saturday staple welcomes shoppers to peruse the wares of 60 vendors from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m in front of the Coral Gables City Hall, on the corner of Miracle Mile and LeJeune Road.Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.20.47 AM

The 2014 season runs from Jan. 18 through March 29. In addition to fresh Florida produce, the market offers prepared foods, baked goods, flowers and plants, free tai chi classes, gardening workshops, cooking demos and children’s activities.

For more information about this City of Coral Gables-sponsored event, visit coralgables.com.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! 405 Biltmore Way, Coral Gables, FL 33134

4. Coconut Grove Organic Market

Presented by Glaser Organic Farms, this year-round market has been serving up organic goodness and gourmet raw vegan foods since 1979. From 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., the market inhabits the field at the southwest corner of Grand Avenue and Margaret Street. Shoppers can expect local and exotic produce, an impressive salad bar and a variety of vegan food products including raw pizza, pies and dairy-free ice cream.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.19.58 AMFor further info, check out the market’s website, glaserorganicfarms.com.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! 3300 Grand Avenue, Coconut Grove, FL 33133

5. South Miami Farmer’s Market

Red Road and Valencia apartment dwellers, the South Miami Farmers’ Market is calling your name! This seasonal market is open every Sunday, November through May, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Founded in 2013, the South Miami market consists of 10 stalls that offer a variety of goods beyond just local and organic produce including local honey, pastries, and prepared food. Just minutes from the South Miami Metrorail, the market, previously located next to the South Miami City Hall, will assume a new location starting Feb. 2 and will make its new home on Sunset Drive at 57th Court.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.14.56 AMFor further details, visit the market site, themarketcompany.org/southmiami.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! ‪Sunset Dr & SW 57th Ct‬, South Miami, FL 33143‬

Kristen Spillane

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...