Stimulate learning through honors program

Being an honors student means feeling up for a challenge and loving to learn in new ways. But at the University of Miami, all it entails is being restricted to a limited selection of honors courses with slightly smaller class sizes.

The Faculty Senate decided to abolish the university’s General Honors Program and although the news may come as a shock, the logic behind it makes sense.

The General Honors Program in its current form, which requires students to complete 24 honors credits by graduation, is not particularly competitive or attractive, and it does not open up many new opportunities.

A report released by the Faculty Senate’s Academic Standards Committee showed that 87 percent of honors students surveyed did not choose to attend UM for its honors program. However, a well-structured honors program can draw prospective students.

While phasing out General Honors over the next four years, UM should focus on building up a new program, even if that means starting from scratch.

Many honors students feel restricted by the fact that they must take an honors course each semester because they don’t have many options to choose from. Nearly 70 percent of honors offerings are housed within arts and sciences. And it seems most are either 101 courses or 500-levels. Students have the option of requesting an extra assignment  from a professor but that does not an honor course make.

Expansion of community-based learning programs within specific academic departments like PRISM could revive UM’s honors program by providing more valuable learning opportunities.

The nominal 30-point difference between the average SAT score for accepted UM students and the minimum threshold for an invitation to participate in the honors program proves that there is barely a difference in the quality of student peers in class.

Perhaps, in addition to new honors offerings, the admissions committee should consider other factors, such as leadership experience, that would make an honors student excel in this type of learning environment.

Getting rid of General Honors entirely without coming up with a replacement would be a missed opportunity for UM and its students. An Ivy League school can go without an honors program, but other colleges and universities owe their students the most stimulating learning environment.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...