Baseball, Sports

Sports Briefs 2/6

BASEBALL

The Hurricanes will kick off their 2014 season on the diamond with Fan Fest this Saturday.

Miami’s annual event is free and open to the public. The activities begin at 4 p.m. at Alex Rodriguez Park. Events include fan batting practice, locker room tours and an autograph session at 4:30 p.m.

Then, Canes both old and new will face off in the Alumni Game.  A team of former Miami players will compete against the current roster, with first pitch slated for 7 p.m.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...