News Briefs 2/6

Literary reading

The Ibis Literary Reading and Performance Series will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday and will feature Edwidge Danticat, Patricia Engel and R. Zamora Linmark in the CAS Gallery across from Pavia Garage. The event is free and open to the public.

Entrepreneur event

The 2014 LEAP Femmepreneur Success Series is a free event series that includes a panel discussion with female entrepreneurs from the community. The event will be from 6 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 12. Each program will focus on a specific industry. The event is free, but registration is required as space is limited. To register, visit femmepreneurseries.com.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 14. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus on Feb. 11 to speak about his latest book. This is a Books and Books event and will take place at 7 p.m. in the Student Activities Center third-floor ballrooms.

Gladwell’s book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants,” looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...