News Briefs 2/6

Literary reading

The Ibis Literary Reading and Performance Series will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday and will feature Edwidge Danticat, Patricia Engel and R. Zamora Linmark in the CAS Gallery across from Pavia Garage. The event is free and open to the public.

Entrepreneur event

The 2014 LEAP Femmepreneur Success Series is a free event series that includes a panel discussion with female entrepreneurs from the community. The event will be from 6 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 12. Each program will focus on a specific industry. The event is free, but registration is required as space is limited. To register, visit femmepreneurseries.com.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 14. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus on Feb. 11 to speak about his latest book. This is a Books and Books event and will take place at 7 p.m. in the Student Activities Center third-floor ballrooms.

Gladwell’s book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants,” looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...