Letter to the editor

An open letter to the student body:

Based on the results of a survey that was distributed to honors students, the Faculty Senate recently voted to phase out UM’s General Honors Program over the next four years with the intention of creating a new program in its place. While Student Government agrees that the former Honors Program needed to be updated, the decision to phase-out the program was reached before students were given the opportunity to provide their input.

As the voice of the student body on campus, Student Government felt there was a need to formally respond. On Wednesday, Senate passed legislation asking for increased cooperation and collaboration between students and administration in the future development of academic programs at the University of Miami.

This bill is just the first step in a long conversation with administration in an effort to affect academic policy at UM, and we hope you will join us in these conversations by reaching out to your Senators. Your input is instrumental and talking with your Senator is the best way to bring your concerns to our Faculty Senate student representatives. Senator contact information can be found at miami.edu/sg.

To continue meeting the needs – academic or otherwise – of the student body, we are always working to improve our outreach efforts. But we know there’s more we can do; reach out to us via our website or social media to tell us what we can do to better represent you and your needs. Student Government is always looking for ways to improve student life at UM, and we look forward to hearing your ideas on how to make UM an even better university.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...