Letter to the editor

An open letter to the student body:

Based on the results of a survey that was distributed to honors students, the Faculty Senate recently voted to phase out UM’s General Honors Program over the next four years with the intention of creating a new program in its place. While Student Government agrees that the former Honors Program needed to be updated, the decision to phase-out the program was reached before students were given the opportunity to provide their input.

As the voice of the student body on campus, Student Government felt there was a need to formally respond. On Wednesday, Senate passed legislation asking for increased cooperation and collaboration between students and administration in the future development of academic programs at the University of Miami.

This bill is just the first step in a long conversation with administration in an effort to affect academic policy at UM, and we hope you will join us in these conversations by reaching out to your Senators. Your input is instrumental and talking with your Senator is the best way to bring your concerns to our Faculty Senate student representatives. Senator contact information can be found at miami.edu/sg.

To continue meeting the needs – academic or otherwise – of the student body, we are always working to improve our outreach efforts. But we know there’s more we can do; reach out to us via our website or social media to tell us what we can do to better represent you and your needs. Student Government is always looking for ways to improve student life at UM, and we look forward to hearing your ideas on how to make UM an even better university.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...