Campus Life, News

Dragons, performances light up Lunar New Year

The University of Miami community ringed in the Lunar New Year with a dragon dance and a fire spinning show Tuesday at the UC Patio.

Students, faculty, staff and visitors gathered at the celebrate the Third Annual Lunar New Year Celebration, which was held by Asian American Student Association and Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA).

According to sophomore Zhengzhi Zhang, a member of CSSA, the Lunar year is the “biggest event of the whole year” for the organization as well as in China.

Zhang’s favorite performance of the night was the mask changing show, also known as bian lian. This consisted of performers instantaneously changing vividly colored masks to the sound of traditional Chinese music.

Other performances included the intriguing dragon and lion dance accompanied by suspenseful drums that created an atmosphere reminiscent to Chinese traditions and a Kung Fu demonstration.

Students participated in interactive activities such as face painting with traditional Chinese masks. Freshman Sally Chang said the masks represented different genres including drama.

The UC Patio was decorated with red knots. Chang also explained that red knots, a symbol for good fortune, were one of the main icons that are traditionally associated with the Lunar New Year.

Sophomore Guannan Liu said that the most important part of celebrating the Lunar New Year is to expose the diverse student body to Chinese culture within a festive setting. Liu said the event allows Chinese students to share their culture “on the stage of the world.”

Mateo Alvarez

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...