Sports Briefs 2/3

Swimming 

The women’s swimming and diving team fought hard in Tallahassee this weekend but came up short against rival FSU.

The dual meet ended with the Seminoles on top, 174-113.

Miami’s two divers finished first and second in the 1-meter competition. Cheyenne Cousineau and Kara McCormack also placed second and third in the 3-meter event.

Junior Heather Arseth, a transfer, notched another first-place finish for the Hurricanes in the 100-yard backstroke. Arseth won in 56.54 seconds, nearly a full second better than any other swimmer.

Freshman Angela Algee came in second place in the 200-yard butterfly event, and junior Amy Wiley won the 100-yard breast stroke.

Miami’s next meet is the ACC Championships Feb. 19-22 in Greensboro, N.C.

Women’s tennis

Miami had no trouble against Florida Gulf Coast on Friday, in a match that was delayed one day due to inclement weather.

Despite the wait, the Canes breezed past the Eagles 6-1. It was Miami’s last match before heading to the ITA National Indoor Championships next weekend.

Brittany Dubins and Stephanie Wagner, ranked 55th in doubles, shut out their opponents 6-0. No. 29 tandem Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque took their doubles match 6-1.

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes had an easy time in singles too, posting quick wins across the board. The lone hiccup was a tough three-set battle that Dubins dropped to Candela Munoz Giron of FGCU.

Dubins took the first set 6-2, but then lost the next two 6-2 and 10-8.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...