Sports Briefs 2/3

Swimming 

The women’s swimming and diving team fought hard in Tallahassee this weekend but came up short against rival FSU.

The dual meet ended with the Seminoles on top, 174-113.

Miami’s two divers finished first and second in the 1-meter competition. Cheyenne Cousineau and Kara McCormack also placed second and third in the 3-meter event.

Junior Heather Arseth, a transfer, notched another first-place finish for the Hurricanes in the 100-yard backstroke. Arseth won in 56.54 seconds, nearly a full second better than any other swimmer.

Freshman Angela Algee came in second place in the 200-yard butterfly event, and junior Amy Wiley won the 100-yard breast stroke.

Miami’s next meet is the ACC Championships Feb. 19-22 in Greensboro, N.C.

Women’s tennis

Miami had no trouble against Florida Gulf Coast on Friday, in a match that was delayed one day due to inclement weather.

Despite the wait, the Canes breezed past the Eagles 6-1. It was Miami’s last match before heading to the ITA National Indoor Championships next weekend.

Brittany Dubins and Stephanie Wagner, ranked 55th in doubles, shut out their opponents 6-0. No. 29 tandem Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque took their doubles match 6-1.

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes had an easy time in singles too, posting quick wins across the board. The lone hiccup was a tough three-set battle that Dubins dropped to Candela Munoz Giron of FGCU.

Dubins took the first set 6-2, but then lost the next two 6-2 and 10-8.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...