Sports Briefs 2/3

Swimming 

The women’s swimming and diving team fought hard in Tallahassee this weekend but came up short against rival FSU.

The dual meet ended with the Seminoles on top, 174-113.

Miami’s two divers finished first and second in the 1-meter competition. Cheyenne Cousineau and Kara McCormack also placed second and third in the 3-meter event.

Junior Heather Arseth, a transfer, notched another first-place finish for the Hurricanes in the 100-yard backstroke. Arseth won in 56.54 seconds, nearly a full second better than any other swimmer.

Freshman Angela Algee came in second place in the 200-yard butterfly event, and junior Amy Wiley won the 100-yard breast stroke.

Miami’s next meet is the ACC Championships Feb. 19-22 in Greensboro, N.C.

Women’s tennis

Miami had no trouble against Florida Gulf Coast on Friday, in a match that was delayed one day due to inclement weather.

Despite the wait, the Canes breezed past the Eagles 6-1. It was Miami’s last match before heading to the ITA National Indoor Championships next weekend.

Brittany Dubins and Stephanie Wagner, ranked 55th in doubles, shut out their opponents 6-0. No. 29 tandem Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque took their doubles match 6-1.

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes had an easy time in singles too, posting quick wins across the board. The lone hiccup was a tough three-set battle that Dubins dropped to Candela Munoz Giron of FGCU.

Dubins took the first set 6-2, but then lost the next two 6-2 and 10-8.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...