Sports Briefs 2/3

Swimming 

The women’s swimming and diving team fought hard in Tallahassee this weekend but came up short against rival FSU.

The dual meet ended with the Seminoles on top, 174-113.

Miami’s two divers finished first and second in the 1-meter competition. Cheyenne Cousineau and Kara McCormack also placed second and third in the 3-meter event.

Junior Heather Arseth, a transfer, notched another first-place finish for the Hurricanes in the 100-yard backstroke. Arseth won in 56.54 seconds, nearly a full second better than any other swimmer.

Freshman Angela Algee came in second place in the 200-yard butterfly event, and junior Amy Wiley won the 100-yard breast stroke.

Miami’s next meet is the ACC Championships Feb. 19-22 in Greensboro, N.C.

Women’s tennis

Miami had no trouble against Florida Gulf Coast on Friday, in a match that was delayed one day due to inclement weather.

Despite the wait, the Canes breezed past the Eagles 6-1. It was Miami’s last match before heading to the ITA National Indoor Championships next weekend.

Brittany Dubins and Stephanie Wagner, ranked 55th in doubles, shut out their opponents 6-0. No. 29 tandem Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque took their doubles match 6-1.

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes had an easy time in singles too, posting quick wins across the board. The lone hiccup was a tough three-set battle that Dubins dropped to Candela Munoz Giron of FGCU.

Dubins took the first set 6-2, but then lost the next two 6-2 and 10-8.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas